Esteemed Contributor

And the poor thing is so afraid me. He only arrived late yesterday afternoon. He spends a lot of time under a bed. He creeps out to where I am and sits and seriously stares me down, appears to be looking right smack dab into my eyes, as soon as I move BAM he's gone and back under the bed. Poor thing. He'll be here a week, hope he gets used to me.

Honored Contributor

Sit very still and let him approach and give you a sniff.  Let him make all the moves.  Eventually, he should let you pet him.  Do you have a string you could pull very slowly and let him catch it.  Give him a little time to get used to the surroundings.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Sit very still and let him approach and give you a sniff.  Let him make all the moves.  Eventually, he should let you pet him.  Do you have a string you could pull very slowly and let him catch it.  Give him a little time to get used to the surroundings.

This morning I was sitting here at the computer in my nightgown and suddenly felt something brush my leg, scared the beejesus out of me, I jumped and let out an eeww. It was him. Guess I scared him too. Have his bed, his favorite blanket to lay on, also a cardboard box filled with tissue wrapping paper he likes to lay in, one of those feathery things on a stick and some round thing w/a ball that spins around the edge. Not to mention of course his poopy box and food. He's a beauty I have to say.

Honored Contributor

Aw-maybe sweet talk to him; tell him how handsome he is and what a good kitty.

Maybe he'll start to melt and you'll win him over with your words.

I know my once feral cat loves this.

I once enticed a sweet runaway into a crate with lots of reassuring words. It took a week and some food and water of course, but she eventually came up to me.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl  Cat's like a softer tone of voice so when he comes out talk sweetly to him.  Hopefully, you can pick him up and pet him (they love that).  It sounds like he has been taken out of his home and into yours and if that is true, yes he is scared.  Like someone else said, cats like to approach you.  They can be the sweetest pets on earth.  My cat is so sweet and would never bite me unless we are playing and it's a playful ******.  Get some string or go out and buy a animal toy for cats with a long wand and something on the end.  They love to run after the toy.  HeartCat Very Happy  My cat actually fetches -- I throw the toy and she gets it and brings it back to me.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

And the poor thing is so afraid me. He only arrived late yesterday afternoon. He spends a lot of time under a bed. He creeps out to where I am and sits and seriously stares me down, appears to be looking right smack dab into my eyes, as soon as I move BAM he's gone and back under the bed. Poor thing. He'll be here a week, hope he gets used to me.

under the bed is a safe space for them,  give him time 

let him know where the food and litter are,  

cats take their own sweet time 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Babysitting a Cat

[ Edited ]

Thanks all. Awhile ago I was sitting in my recliner and he got on his hind legs w/his front paws on the arm of the chair and just kept staring & staring right into my eyes. I spoke softly to him but as soon as I moved.....off he went. But we're making progress. We might be best buddies by the end of the week.

He did eat and use his litterbox so that's all good. And he jumps up on the windowsill in the living room and relaxes and looks out......when he's not staring me down.

Super Contributor

@shaggygirl

It sounds like he is adjusting nicely to his temporary new home with you.  I think it's a good sign that he is making eye contact with you.  One suggestion...when he does approach you, let him sniff you without moving and before trying to petting him. My own cat that I've had for 8 months must thoroughly sniff me each time before I can pet her.

Honored Contributor

Shaggygirl - So how are things going? I am impressed how well the cat adjusted in the short time you had him. I hope it only gets better.

Esteemed Contributor

Well yesterday he was sitting on a bedroom dresser looking out the window and somehow fell down between the wall & back of the dresser. I could hear him trying to jump up. Just as I was starting to take the drawers out of it to be able to pull it out from the wall he found a way out down near the floor.

He doesn't run away as quickly now when he sees me walking away in his direction, he just walks into whatever room is closest.

I've decided as long as he's eating & pooping and goes back home healthy that's really all that's important. We don't have to become snuggle buddies if he doesn't want to.