Contributor

Yesterday, I had to say goodbye to the most beautiiful soul I knew.......my dog Henry.

I know i have to get past this grief, but I m missing him so very much.  I was blessed to

have him for 12 1/2 years.   He was so brave, hiding pain we didn't even know about, for a short while, until he just couldn't hide it anymore.  The vet told us that is a trait of large dogs especially.....they will do their best to hide their pain.  We made the decision to let him go. But, before that happened, we spent the most wonderul hour with him, talking to him about all that we wanted - so much so that he went from raspy, rapid breathing to actually calming right down and falling to sleep, snoring.  That is when we knew it was time to say goodbye.  He was the best, most purest part of me and I was honored to be his Mom.  I know there are so many of you out there with similar experiences......of having such great loves with our babies and then having to bid farewell.  It was such absolute joy to know him and take care of him.

Honored Contributor
Image result for loss of pet images

Honored Contributor

@Henrysmom wrote:

Yesterday, I had to say goodbye to the most beautiiful soul I knew.......my dog Henry.

I know i have to get past this grief, but I m missing him so very much.  I was blessed to

have him for 12 1/2 years.   He was so brave, hiding pain we didn't even know about, for a short while, until he just couldn't hide it anymore.  The vet told us that is a trait of large dogs especially.....they will do their best to hide their pain.  We made the decision to let him go. But, before that happened, we spent the most wonderul hour with him, talking to him about all that we wanted - so much so that he went from raspy, rapid breathing to actually calming right down and falling to sleep, snoring.  That is when we knew it was time to say goodbye.  He was the best, most purest part of me and I was honored to be his Mom.  I know there are so many of you out there with similar experiences......of having such great loves with our babies and then having to bid farewell.  It was such absolute joy to know him and take care of him.

So sorry for your loss!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Henrysmom

My deepest sypathies go out to you and your family. After I went through the same experience, I found a couple of poems that really helped ease my pain and thought maybe they'll offer you some comfort too.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears. 

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Last Night
I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peek.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you wiped away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour your coffee.
You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.

I was with you at the shop today; your arms were getting sore,
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you toward the house, you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "It's me."

You looked so very, very tired and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday,
to tell you with such certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew....
in the stillness of the evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over, I smile and watch you yawning
and say, "Goodnight, God Bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to meet you and we'll stand side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there's so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out....then come home to be with me
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Henrysmom, hugs, so sorry for your loss. I totally understand. We lost our little girl the third of this month. Aren't we lucky to have had such wonderful babies in our lives?!! Will be thinking of you at this time. I know there's others in that same boat with us.

Trusted Contributor

@Henrysmom, I am so very sorry for the loss of your wonderful dog, Henry.  It is so heartbreaking to lose your little sweetie.....someone who brought you so much happiness.   It definitely sounds like he was a very, very loved pooch.  

Blessings to you.  

Respected Contributor

Re: I lost my beloved boy

[ Edited ]

@Henrysmom ... I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of little Henry. I know how hard it is to say good bye and to go on without them. I'm so happy that you had a little special time with him before you had to say good bye. I lost my two 18 year old cats within less than a year of each other. I know that many people don't believe that pets have souls, but I do. I also feel that they come to visit me occasionally. When my other cat is no where around, I will feel "someone" brush against my bare leg, jump up on the bed, or some other sign that "someone" has come for a visit. I hope you get to experience these special moments also. I find comfort in our memories and in knowing that I'll eventually be back together with all my furbabies. Hugs.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Henrysmom wrote:

@Henrysmom

Oh, I grieve with you!  A few years ago, this could have been me writing this.  Only my darling boy was a small Havanese, but I felt the same way about him.  I would like to give you my condolences and say that I truly know exactly how you feel.  You feel as though your heart has broken in many pieces.  They take a piece of your heart with them when they pass on and this leaves an empty space in you that can never be filled.  I grieve for my lovely boy and its been a few years but at least now I can smile more when I think of him and can cry a bit less.  Having him in my life was just the greatest joy.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of him, but thankfully the pain has gotten less but it never goes away.   They give us far more than we can ever give them!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Contributor

My heart is breaking for you.  So sorry for your loss.  I lost my beautiful boy 2 years ago and still feel so much pain even though we still have his little brother.  Just keep thinking about how much love and happiness you had with him.  ((Hugs)) to you.

Honored Contributor

It is sad to say goodbye to a beloved pet.  I still think of the cats and dogs I've owned over the years, but animals don't have real long life spans. Even when I got a pet, I would wonder how long I'd have them.