Honored Contributor

Re: I inherited a Senior Dog

@On It wrote:

@KBEANS We bought our elderly dog a tempurpedic type dog bed at Sam's. It relieved the pressure on his little achy body. They don't always have them in stock, but their price was wonderful.

We bought a Serta dog bed at Sam's. Our dog liked that bed so much. We had other beds for him around the house and he would only use that one bed. Best $39 we spent. 

I must say that Sam's must have quite a dog lover as their buyer for dog stuff. They always seem to have a varied and large assortment of items for dogs. 

Our dog passed away a year ago and we still go down the dog isle every time we are at Sam's just to see what they have.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS - As for your first time starting a thread, I would have never known! I've "seen" you here and never would have guessed you'd never done that!

As for Jake, what a blessing for both of you! He is going to give you so much unconditional love and happiness! And you are going to give him everything he needs. How blessed you both are to have each other. And another blessing is his ongoing friendship with your son's dog!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

You are fabulous friends and your post brought tears to my eyes.  Love and spoil him. 

Valued Contributor

@KBEANS, you are an angel to do this for your husband's friend! I'm so glad he knew he had someone to care for his sweet dog when he was gone.I'm sure that brought him a great deal of comfort. I'm going to suggest something that might sound odd but if your friend has a gravesite nearby, are you able to take Jake to visit in a week or two? When my husband passed away, I took my dog, who had really been my husband's dog, to the cemetery. From the minute we got out of the car, he was on his leash and started taking me where he wanted to go. He was running and running (we have to walk quite a ways) and he went right to my husband's grave! Then he plopped down and laid there until I told him we had to go. It was an amazing experience because I didn't take him to the gravesite, he took me. He knew exactly where to go and seemed at peace once we got there. They definitely grieve too and it's so hard because we can't explain things to them but they just seem to know. I felt like this was his chance to say goodbye. It's just a suggestion. I wish you well with this new member of your family.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

I'm sure your reply comforted @KBEANS.  You have a caring way of offering suggestions & help.  

I was thinking upon reading @KBEANS  thread that she's already heading in the right direction by reaching out to posters & we could easily read the love & care they have for Sweet Jake.

Honored Contributor

Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@KBEANS Thank you for bringing Jake into your home.  You are an angel.  We took in Happy when her second owner had two strokes and we never regretted it.  What I wish that I had known and did not find out until Happy passed was that she never ate dog food.  Her owner always cooked chicken for her.  I cook for my dogs, but they also get dog food.  If Jake's owner left any instructions, just make sure to read them carefully.  His vet will also be able to give you info.  Just enjoy your time with him as he is a senior, and keep him happy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

KBeans,  You are a good person!!! ❤️

Honored Contributor

Bless your family. I'm sure the old boy misses his dad.

Respected Contributor

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful tips and the encouragement you have given us!  I sure will keep you updated on Jake. He's a joy and he has our hearts already!

Thanks again everyone.