Respected Contributor

I have to say goodbye to my beloved cat, Buddy.

He was diagnosed with a large mass in his abdomen.I don't know how I will do this. I dread the trip to the vet.

Honored Contributor

Re: I have to say goodbye to my beloved cat, Buddy.

I'm so sorry for you and Buddy @ellaphant.  I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a beloved pet.  Cancer is such a horrible disease.  I do believe that letting them go is the last act of love you can do for them.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry about Buddy.  Being a cat mom for over 40 years I have gone through this many times.  It is always devastating no matter what the circumstances.  I hope it helps you to know that you gave Buddy a wonderful, loving home.  Take care.    Heart

Super Contributor

My heart is with you.  It is the worst part of pet ownership, but it is also the greatest gift.  You can give that loving kitty the comfort of knowing you are with him.  And remember, he has no sense of time and no fear of the future.  He just knows you are there, loving him as always.  Keep talking, holding, and telling him how dear he is.  That will give you a memory of love and peace, and the knowledge that you did your very best for him.  

Sending warm thoughts and courage your way.

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant. I am so sorry to hear about Buddy and my heart goes out to you both.  This is the hardest part of pet ownership; but, in the end, what matters is the love that  you have shown him and doing the best for him that you could.  RIP Buddy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

This year we said goodbye to both our dogs. One was 10 the other 15. The vet came to our house. This made it bearable, and both died where they were loved. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twoaces wrote:

My heart is with you.  It is the worst part of pet ownership, but it is also the greatest gift.  You can give that loving kitty the comfort of knowing you are with him.  And remember, he has no sense of time and no fear of the future.  He just knows you are there, loving him as always.  Keep talking, holding, and telling him how dear he is.  That will give you a memory of love and peace, and the knowledge that you did your very best for him.  

Sending warm thoughts and courage your way.

@Twoaces

You said this so well, I just wanted to repeat it.  Thank you.

@ellaphant

I am so very sad for your loss, it hurts so much.  I hope you can take comfort in the fact that because of you, Buddy knew Love, Safety, and the blessings of having a Mommers and a home.  Peace and Blessings to you both.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

My heart goes out to you at this difficult decision making time. My family has been there too through the years but with the vets guidance I feel the right decision was made. You sound like a loving person who will make sure Buddy's comfort will be first and foremost. Bless you.

Trusted Contributor

I am very sorry to hear this.  My heart goes out to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry you have to go through this .......i had to do it a couple years back with my 15 1/2 yr old mini poodle....i KNEW i had to hold her the whole time .....she went quietly to sleep.....I felt i had no choice and was glad afterward i found the courage to be with her..........the one thing i always tried to tell myself after losing a beloved pet ( i have had a few)  is that i tried my best and gave them a happier life then they may have had  had i not been there......and i know the love between us was there...