Honored Contributor

In answer to my question, I found out there are gator in TX.  I know on some golf courses we see gators crawl out of the water onto the greens.  I wondered if TX had gators and use to be, there were more until people were killing them off.  I couldn't figure out how LA and FL could have gators and didn't recall gators in TX.  

So I guess along those areas, you gotta be careful!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: I had to look up gators.

[ Edited ]

The only place in Texas I ever saw alligators was in Brazos Bend State Park South of Houston on the Brazos River.  There's a small lake in the park and on a hot August day, after being in the sun too long, my sister and I walked around the lake, A one hour stroll.  There were lots of gators napping on the lake banks but they were small, in the 3-4ft range.  They ignored us and we kept the prescribed distance from them.

They don't wander golf courses or residential neighborhoods like they do in Florida.  There are winter cold snaps which probably kill many if them.  They aren't a problem.

Strangely, one of the places in the US with the biggest gators is in the San Luis Valley of Colorado where winter temps are sub-zero.  It's near Great Sand Dunes National Park.  I couldn't believe it the first time I drove by there and saw the signs.  I've since seen the place featured on several TV shows.  They use water from artesian wells which may be warm (guess).  Their gators, many are rescues, are huge.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment