Valued Contributor

Re: I had to let my boy go and I’m crushed

@Nugbucker I am so sorry. I’ve gone through similar situations and I know the pain and feeling of loss is unbearable at times.

You gave Zeus five happy and loving years. Hang on to your love for Zeus and all your happy memories. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

@NugbuckerA hug to you in your grief.  I reread your post a few times and just by the words you use and the information you gave I can tell you dearly loved your big boy and did the hardest,  most loving thing you could do for him.  It bruises the heart to lose them and to become so severely ill so fast is a shock.  Please do not doubt yourself.  your heart told you then what to do no mater how hard it would be for you you needed to ease his pain.  We've all lost beloved fur friends but Each one hurts us like a fiber plucked from our heart.  Remember him with love as he surely loved you.

Valued Contributor

@Nugbucker

Sadly, part of loving a pet is knowing when to "let them go."  

May one day your heart will be comforted by good memories.

Hugs.

Honored Contributor

@Nugbucker

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nugbucker, I am so sorry for your loss.  The most important thing is that Zeus is no longer in any pain.  Never second guess yourself as you did what was best and showed Zeus that you loved him so much that you did not want him to be in any pain.  RIP Zeus. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

@NugbuckerI am so so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine a furbaby passing so suddenly at such a young age.  You must be in shock,  Just heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

@Nugbucker  So sorryfor your loss💗☹️

Frequent Contributor

To everyone- thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words. I’m tearing up reading the responses and I’m humbled to see that so many people took the time to comment. My pets are my family and it sounds like for everyone here, your pets are family too. Zeus is the second cat I’ve lost in just over a year, and it’s just heartbreaking to have to let them go. Zeus was just SO sudden, there wasn’t time to even think about what to do really. I just knew I couldn’t put him in any more pain. THANK YOU, sincerely, everyone- thank you for reassuring me. ♥️
Respected Contributor

@Nugbucker

I have tears in my eyes and am so very sorry for your loss.  I've had to let cats go as young as 1 year old and as old as 19 years old.  No matter what the circumstance it is not an easy decision to make.  Please find comfort knowing what a loving home you gave him for those years.  Take care.  Heart 

Regular Contributor

I'm do sorry! I lost my kitty to cancer this past December...I miss her every day...I know the most loving thing I could have done for her was let her go!