Honored Contributor

Re: I am thinking of switching to pellet cat litter

[ Edited ]

@NYwoman - I also live in a rural area where mice are a problem, especially in winter.  The only issue we ever had was once, when we put a couple of bags of World's Best in the basement. I found one of the bags chewed through and a small amount of litter on the floor.

I then bought a metal bin and now keep the bags in that.  No problems since.  Mice never come into our living areas - probably our cats deter them.

Yes, mice have an amazing sense of smell!

ETA:  One thing I would say, if you're rural and have a septic tank - don't flush even "flushable" litter, unless you want expensive problems down the line.

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@NYwoman - I also live in a rural area where mice are a problem, especially in winter.  The only issue we ever had was once, when we put a couple of bags of World's Best in the basement. I found one of the bags chewed through and a small amount of litter on the floor.

I then bought a metal bin and now keep the bags in that.  No problems since.  Mice never come into our living areas - probably our cats deter them.

Yes, mice have an amazing sense of smell!

ETA:  One thing I would say, if you're rural and have a septic tank - don't flush even "flushable" litter, unless you want expensive problems down the line.

I do have a septic system and only septic safe toilet paper gets flushed!  

The mice went into the liter box.   Our cat was only a hunter outside.   It was quite surprising.   He would look at chipmunks outside and be outraged.    

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman - Oh my gosh - if mice got into my living area and the cats didn't get them, I would.

I believe, for the most part, in live and let live, but not if they invade my home.  I use the Viktor Electronic traps, whenever I have an issue in my garage or basement.  Bait them with peanut butter, close the top and let them do their thing.  Clean, fast, humane kill and you just toss the little rodent.

Whenever I've had a problem, I find that after a few kills, the problem disappears for a long time.  As in, they get the message!  I buy mine on Amazon.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting and enjoy your new kitty!

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@NYwoman - Oh my gosh - if mice got into my living area and the cats didn't get them, I would.

I believe, for the most part, in live and let live, but not if they invade my home.  I use the Viktor Electronic traps, whenever I have an issue in my garage or basement.  Bait them with peanut butter, close the top and let them do their thing.  Clean, fast, humane kill and you just toss the little rodent.

Whenever I've had a problem, I find that after a few kills, the problem disappears for a long time.  As in, they get the message!  I buy mine on Amazon.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting and enjoy your new kitty!

I use Plug In Pest Free, an Austalian company that has offices in Colorado.   I have used electronic devises for years and this is the best.   Only an occasional mouse tries to get in.  We use all deterants and blocking every entrance.   I even use predator scent from a hunting company in Maine.   I think it's bobcat scent.  I have skunk scent for the human kind.  Thank God, none so far but in these days....  Also Irish Spring soap.   

Respected Contributor

I use Naturally Fresh walnut shell litter.  It's a little dusty in the box, but it doesn't track.  I never see bits of it on my kitties' paws.  

Respected Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

I've tried pellets and crystals to no avail so the best clumping out of all we've tried is Tidy Cats Lightweight Free and Clean unscented.

We are getting ready to adopt another cat this week and the foster dad said he prefers clumping.

So that's what we'll use for both cats.

Ive had enough cats to know they are finicky and don't care for change.

That's what i use too!

Trusted Contributor

I set up the litter using pellets on Wednesday and it's going great.  I'm using the feline pine pellets.  I followed the video from Victorian Gardens Cattery.  No dust, no scooping except for solids, and the scent is very pleasant.  

The one thing I had an issue with was finding a big enough pad.  The one she recommended was sold out at Sam's Club and Amazon was asking a ridiculous price.  So the pad is a bit smaller but it will be okay.  At the Cattery, she had multiple cats so I'm not sure I needed to do the setup as she did but I decided not to try modifying since I was doing it for the first time.  

Esteemed Contributor

we have used feline pine for 25 yrs ,  all if our cats have done well with it .  No perfume smell like tidy cat or others.  Just a fresh sort of wood pine scent , certainly not overbearing .  It has a slight scent .  Better for the cats too , no dust .