Contributor

I am heartbroken when I see this

Has this happened to anyone who owns dogs that are best buddies and one has cancer?

I have always invited shelter pets into my home. Well one of my dogs has cancer. He sleeps alot, but always meets my husband and I when we arrive home, along with my other dog.

Hunter is about 12 years old. When Jenny, my golden lab wants to go out, she always tries to get Hunter to get up and go out back with her. Jenny will lick and push up Hunter with her nose. Hunter is getting worse. He all black but getting lots of grey now.

Do you think that Jenny knows that Hunter has cancer? Do dogs know when another dog is not well.

Hunter has the cancer and Jenny is only 1 year younger than Hunter. They do everything together......

Honored Contributor

Re: I am heartbroken when I see this

I do believe that Jenny knows Hunter is sick.I am sure that she is trying to help him...sad time of life.I lost my dog to cancer three years ago and I still can't get another.That just hurt so much that I am not able to do it again.

Esteemed Contributor

It is very sad. My sister had two beautiful girls and one had cancer. When she passed Baby Girl took it very hard. It’s been a few months and she still cries from time to time 

Contributor

My husband has never had a dog and Hunter is his first. Hubby spoils the dogs and cat that I found in a box, with holes punched in and was left with 2 other kittens in a snowstorm. I gave one of the the kittens a home with us. I didn't want them to die in 30 degree weather. Someone else gave the other 2 kittens a home also.

Why would someone do this? And just leave these kittens to die. The kitten I saved turned out to be after 1 year old now, an Inside Mainecoon beautiful Cat. When I took it to the vets, from the box, she was full of fleas and didn't even fit into my hand.

Sorry to get off the track.....

My husband got the news about Hunter's cancer last week. I am also so worried that he is going to take this so hard, when the time comes.

I will also be taking this so hard, since I was the one to adopt Hunter from a shelter. But I feel better that Hunter has a wonderful loving home with a great green grass backyard. He also loves the snow. I live in MA.

Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.Maybe in time you might adopt another dog. Time will heal your wounds as it does for my Dad who passed. I think of him everyday and I am sure you think of your doggie as well. Prayers going out to you to ease your pain.

Esteemed Contributor

@Libra2 wrote:

My husband has never had a dog and Hunter is his first. Hubby spoils the dogs and cat that I found in a box, with holes punched in and was left with 2 other kittens in a snowstorm. I gave one of the the kittens a home with us. I didn't want them to die in 30 degree weather. Someone else gave the other 2 kittens a home also.

Why would someone do this? And just leave these kittens to die. The kitten I saved turned out to be after 1 year old now, an Inside Mainecoon beautiful Cat. When I took it to the vets, from the box, she was full of fleas and didn't even fit into my hand.

Sorry to get off the track.....

My husband got the news about Hunter's cancer last week. I am also so worried that he is going to take this so hard, when the time comes.

I will also be taking this so hard, since I was the one to adopt Hunter from a shelter. But I feel better that Hunter has a wonderful loving home with a great green grass backyard. He also loves the snow. I live in MA.

@Libra2, I lost my babygirl to cancer too, two years ago.  Though I love her and talk to her daily, I have another now - I believe she guided me to him to help me through the loss.  However, I live in central MA and just wanted to mention I had a doctor come to the house weekly performing acupuncture.  She also prescribed a special diet - in eastern medicine cancer is a 'hot' element so 'cold' element is used to fight it:  i.e., Jade got a dieit of vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, cheese, avoiding kibble, grains, carbs. And, along with western meds, a few chinese.  This helped greatly for quite a while until the tumors took over (she had metastatic bone cancer); original diagnosis was two days to two months. She lived about seven and one-half months; then, due to the tumors and bone deterioation, it was best for her to send her to heaven.  Anyways, you might want to consider diet/acupuncture to help you furbaby. Good luck and God BlessHeart.

Honored Contributor

Golden labs have a excellent sense of smell. I saw a TV show one time about dogs detecting all kinds of things, and one of the things was cancer.

It would not surprise me if Jenny is detecting  the cancer. And also since they did everything together, she probably knows that Hunter is not feeling 100%.

My ferrets could sense that one was not doing well. And so the big ferret looked after the one who was not feeling well. She would alwys wrap her body around his and made sure he was warm. It was amazing to watch.

Respected Contributor

@Libra2  Oh, I'm so sorry about Hunter, but yes, I'm sure Jenny knows he is ill.  As another poster pointed out that dogs can detect cancer in humans,  so why not in other dogs?  I'm sure you've noticed that when you are sick or unhappy your pets will show sympathy toward you.  I used to have a dear female cat that would stay by my side no matter what.  I remember being very sick one time and she absolutely stayed on the bed with me all day (not even eating) until I was able and ready to get up.

I wish I could say something to make it easier for you and your "family."  At least you know that when Hunter's time does come, Jenny will be right there with you helping you grieve and recover.  Heart

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Yes....dogs know when their buddy is not well.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Libra2, I'm so sorry that all of you are going through this difficult time with Hunter's cancer.Heart

~~~~

I would like to offer a suggestion (please don't think that I am being insensitive):

Jenny knows that Hunter is not well.

If you do have to have the vet assist Hunter, over the Rainbow Bridge ... ask if Jenny can be present.

When our Rosco, who had cancer, was taken to the vet, his brothers & sisters (dogs) weren't there and they were a bit confused that Rosco was no longer around.  However, when our Rachel passed, her brothers & sisters were present and they seemed to do much better with her passing.