Honored Contributor

I am having my new adopted dog's DNA tested to see what mix he is

I am so curious as to his background. My other dog Lola is purebread Golden.  Zazu the newly adopted male is a mixture of Golden and I think Irish setter.  I use to have just Irish Setters years ago and he has many of the physical attributes of the Irish  combined with a very golden head and demenor.  

I   am having the testing done thru Wisdom Panel. I  looked around and they had very good ratings and really do a complete  test from a to z,.  It cost only $74 with a $10 off coupon they have on the website. You can go there and see everything you get for $74. 

Once I get the answers( probably take several weeks all together to gather the DNA and send it in and get it back) I will post the information and see if my guess on Golden/ Irish is right.  Perhaps he also has some other mix down the lineage.  It will be exciting to find out! 

Honored Contributor

Re: I am having my new adopted dog's DNA tested to see what mix he is

I have wanted to do this with my dog.  She is a rescue and was listed as a boxer.  They only took a picture of her face which does look like a boxer face.  However, once I went to get her, I knew she wasn't purebred.  She has longer hair and her hair looks black but has reddish mixed in.  She also never got the squared off head like boxers get. 

I don't care because I love her to pieces but I've had so many people, including various vets, tell me what they think she is and they are all over the place.  I'd like to know for my own curiosity because I think she has some type of herding dog mixed in, just by the way she acts.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I have wanted to do this with my dog.  She is a rescue and was listed as a boxer.  They only took a picture of her face which does look like a boxer face.  However, once I went to get her, I knew she wasn't purebred.  She has longer hair and her hair looks black but has reddish mixed in.  She also never got the squared off head like boxers get. 

I don't care because I love her to pieces but I've had so many people, including various vets, tell me what they think she is and they are all over the place.  I'd like to know for my own curiosity because I think she has some type of herding dog mixed in, just by the way she acts.   

@Lipstickdiva... You should do it!  Go to the website and see all the interesting info you will find out. Even things that medically she may be genetically prone to and you can focus on keeping her well. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have dogs, only had a dog when I was very little.  I have always had cats.

Some people might think it was silly but I do understand why you'd get it tested.  There are problems that different breeds have.  It would be good to know what to look out for.

I'm not saying everyone should do it, I'm just saying if you have the money and are curious and it might help you with the dog's medical issues (maybe down the road) why not.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

@Annabellethecat66

I agree as well.

You can drop $74 on one vet trip.

I see very few Irish Setters.

When my son was very young (he's 34 now) we had a black lab mixed with Irish setter, a rescue.   He had the body, head & personality of a lab but the coat of a setter.   He was literally pitch black, my son named him Pitch.   He was a great dog.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am so curious as to his background. My other dog Lola is purebread Golden.  Zazu the newly adopted male is a mixture of Golden and I think Irish setter.  I use to have just Irish Setters years ago and he has many of the physical attributes of the Irish  combined with a very golden head and demenor.  

I   am having the testing done thru Wisdom Panel. I  looked around and they had very good ratings and really do a complete  test from a to z,.  It cost only $74 with a $10 off coupon they have on the website. You can go there and see everything you get for $74. 

Once I get the answers( probably take several weeks all together to gather the DNA and send it in and get it back) I will post the information and see if my guess on Golden/ Irish is right.  Perhaps he also has some other mix down the lineage.  It will be exciting to find out! 

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

What a fun thing to do!

One of my co-workers did it for both of her dogs. One test came back believable and the second one looked way off - even her vet thought the analysis was incorrect. 

Please share your results!

Respected Contributor

We had one of our dogs dna analyzed. This was actually done at a vet drawing blood because ther are issues that can affect the analysis of bucal swab tesults. I did it because we always wondered what he is, he was a rescue that we got when he was really young. Turns out he is peke and ******z one one side and min pin and mixed breed on the other. I did it as my birthday present this year. He is so gorgeous that people have asked what he is for his entire life......and now we can say, "according to his dna......." Best present I ever got!

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.