Esteemed Contributor

I totally understand  your grief for this little bunny.  We also hsve plenty if wildlife that pass through our yard and live in e woods that surround our home .  I find myself watching for them each day and when I don't see one of the bunnies or deer, or Cardinal I worry if so ething happened to one if them.  We had a tiny rabbit living under a bush in the yard ,  saw her everyday the. All of a sudden she was gone ,  I'm trying to tell myself she found another place to be but would reLly like to know if that's true ... Or maybe I don't ya no.  

What really  bothers me is there was a nest of cardinal babies in our red maple in the front yard.  Each day the daddy cardinal,  which I found out feeds the young ,  would bring food and feed them , same time each morning.  Then he would sit close by and watch out for them afterwards.  The mommy cardinal would meet up with him and both would keep watch .  It was so cute and we loved watching them.  Then one day 2 weeks ago we had a thunderstorm with high winds and the next day and since the father hasn't come around to feed them and we don't hear the babies anymore.  I don't know enough about birds but wonder if he took them to a safer place ?  That is what I hope ,  my fear is they drowned or died from the heavy rain.  It breaks my heart ,  and if they died the mom and dad are sad too which makes me even more sad.  I know they are wild a I sis and nature is not always kind ,  but it doesn't stop me from being sad and upset.  I love all of Gods creatures,  big or small .  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore Bless Your Heart

xoxo.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry.  We live with quite a few animals around us to and we care for them.

Respected Contributor

Oh @twopeas

Some days 'Mother Nature' can be cruel, and I love all creatures as much as you.  I feed those cuties in my backyard and get attached to them too .... sending hugs to you.

Respected Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

A few years ago a rabbit had her litter in our flower bed.  There were 5 little bunnies, just the cutest little things imaginable.  We watched them emerge from their nest and move about the yard.  The mama took them from the nest one day, and abruptly left.  I guess it was time for them to be on their own.  They were tiny and helpless and here came the neighbors cat!  I went out and shooed off that cat a dozen times, but the bunnies had scattered and I could no longer protect them.  I guess if all baby bunnies survived we'd be knee deep in rabbits.  Nature can be cruel.

Just  be sure to never take babys out of the nest. it is actually normal for the mothers to stay away from the nest its their way to not draw predators too it. The nest probably was not abandoned

Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry this happened to the precious rabbit.   I would be heartbroken also.  Thank you for taking care of him or her.