Respected Contributor

How can I tell a dog walker that our lawn is not a toilet for the dog she is walking.  Ours isn't the only lawn this mutt uses.  Yes, she does pick up #2, I think, but #1 wrecks havoc on the lawn leaving brown spots that are awful.  We work hard and spend plenty trying to keep the lawn looking good, but this is not right.  We live in a "community" type place and there is a place for the dogs to do their duty.  Telling the Board wouldn't really do much, so I need your advise.  I did have the perfect opportunity to tell her this morning, but chickened out.  I've got a mouth for everything else, but not this.  

Honored Contributor

I think you can purchase small signs on amazon that ask dog walkers to avoid your lawn.  I haven’t done this, but see that others have them placed on their property 

Super Contributor

I see people put up a small, nicely worded sign saying Please donot.........where owners have seen pet walkers using their lawn or other to do their business.

Esteemed Contributor

same thing happens in my neighborhood....don't understand why dog walkers don't wait until the dog does its business in its own yard BEFORE they take the mutt for a walk..........i don't own a dog....don't use my yard for your dog's toilet......

Respected Contributor

If I caught the dog walker in the act, I would simply step outside and confront the person in a nice manner.  I would also get a sign that said please don't use my lawn for your dog's bathroom or whatever they say.  Do you know the owner's of the dog?  If so, maybe you could speak to them a well. 

Honored Contributor

The next time you have the opportunity, I would politely approach them and ask them not to let the dog relieve themselves on your lawn, as it causes brown patches.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Some Advise

[ Edited ]
  1. Tell the dog walker about the brown spots.  Point out that there is a common area for the dog to go.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The best way is to confront her.  Ask her politely and tell her about the brown spots on your lawn.  I doubt she will give you a hard time. 

Honored Contributor

Call the police because a dog peed on your lawn?  I know it can be aggravating but that is beyond petty.  Police have better, more important things to do.  The dog would be long gone by the time the police got there...if they came.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

How can I tell a dog walker that our lawn is not a toilet for the dog she is walking.  Ours isn't the only lawn this mutt uses.  Yes, she does pick up #2, I think, but #1 wrecks havoc on the lawn leaving brown spots that are awful.  We work hard and spend plenty trying to keep the lawn looking good, but this is not right.  We live in a "community" type place and there is a place for the dogs to do their duty.  Telling the Board wouldn't really do much, so I need your advise.  I did have the perfect opportunity to tell her this morning, but chickened out.  I've got a mouth for everything else, but not this.  

@coffee drinker  My advice to you is to "man up" and speak your piece.  Your lawn is not a toilet for her mutt, take it somewhere else.  There was a case dealing with pretty much the same issue on Judge Judy recently.  The couple's whose lawn was being ruined sued and won the case for having to replace their damaged lawn.  Speak up or suffer the consequences of a damaged lawn.  Maybe you want to take some pictures or video of the dog in the act just in case this becomes something bigger.