Respected Contributor

Re: I Just Got a New Dog!

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@RinaRina.  I'm so happy you got a new dog.  You must tell us about him.  If he has testicles, he hasn't been neutered.  What does he look like?  What color?  Breed?  How about a picture, please?  Now let the naming begin....

===========================

He is just adorable.  I went to pick up a Lab Mix that looked like the one I'd just lost, but she wasn't there yet.  Then, I saw this little guy.  I'm a sucker for dogs with "pretty" faces.  He's a chihuahua mix.  He looks like a miniature German Shepherd .. brown & black.  When I figure out how to post a picture here, I'll send it. 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Congrats on the arrival of your new furbaby!!! :-)

What did you name him? I read through all of your posts on this thread and didn't see his name mentioned anywhere.

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Lacey1 wrote:

I've owned dogs all of my life and consider myself a pretty good dog person. I would NEVER let a dog lick my face. Not only is it pretty unhygenic-it's a dominance thing. If you let a dog lick your face, paw you, nudge you with a toy, or make you do something-he/she is exerting dominance. You need to be the pack leader.

This can manifest itself in lots of undeirable behaviors, including separation anxiety. If the dog feels that he/she is the pack leader-and a subordinate member of the pack leaves without their permission, (you going to work, for instance)-they don't understand.

Read up on dog behavior. Especially if this dog has come from a bad home situation. Good luck!

@Lacey1  I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but how do you differenciate between exhibiting dominance and the dog communicating with the master?  My dog exihibits some of the behaviors you deem "undesireable" as his way of communicating (needing attention, wanting to play, showing love, etc.), yet when I command him to do something else, he knows who is boss.  He's three and we still crate him every night.  He knows that's his place and we say, "go to bed" and he goes whether it's night time or we're puting him in thre while we're going to be away running errands.  He even knows to go in there all on his own if we happen to take a plate of lunch or dinner downstairs and eat while watching a tv program.

Not picking a fight either. When a dog comes and stares at you because he needs to go out-he's communicating with you. When a dog is laying on the bed and growls at you when you tell him to move-he's dominating the situation. Any time the dog dictates your actions, you have to decide who's in charge. Seeing eye dogs are taught to ignore their owner's commands if there is unseen danger-but that is a learned, accepted behavior. Don't confuse repeated licking as 'kissing'. Would you like it if your boyfriend/husband licked your face repeatedly? Or, would you find it annoying?

Super Contributor

Congratulations!  The first few days that a rescued dog spends with you are an adjustment for both of you.  This dog is so grateful to have been rescued.  Relax, give all of you a chance to settle in.  Every dog that I've ever had, at least 14 by now, have been rescues.  They have all been fine, but it may take a bit of time, and the initial behaviors aren't necessarily what you will see, even a few days from now.  Patience, and if need be, consult a trainer.  But I think you will be fine.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lacey1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Lacey1 wrote:

I've owned dogs all of my life and consider myself a pretty good dog person. I would NEVER let a dog lick my face. Not only is it pretty unhygenic-it's a dominance thing. If you let a dog lick your face, paw you, nudge you with a toy, or make you do something-he/she is exerting dominance. You need to be the pack leader.

This can manifest itself in lots of undeirable behaviors, including separation anxiety. If the dog feels that he/she is the pack leader-and a subordinate member of the pack leaves without their permission, (you going to work, for instance)-they don't understand.

Read up on dog behavior. Especially if this dog has come from a bad home situation. Good luck!

@Lacey1  I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but how do you differenciate between exhibiting dominance and the dog communicating with the master?  My dog exihibits some of the behaviors you deem "undesireable" as his way of communicating (needing attention, wanting to play, showing love, etc.), yet when I command him to do something else, he knows who is boss.  He's three and we still crate him every night.  He knows that's his place and we say, "go to bed" and he goes whether it's night time or we're puting him in thre while we're going to be away running errands.  He even knows to go in there all on his own if we happen to take a plate of lunch or dinner downstairs and eat while watching a tv program.

Not picking a fight either. When a dog comes and stares at you because he needs to go out-he's communicating with you. When a dog is laying on the bed and growls at you when you tell him to move-he's dominating the situation. Any time the dog dictates your actions, you have to decide who's in charge. Seeing eye dogs are taught to ignore their owner's commands if there is unseen danger-but that is a learned, accepted behavior. Don't confuse repeated licking as 'kissing'. Would you like it if your boyfriend/husband licked your face repeatedly? Or, would you find it annoying?

Thanks for responding.  You may have had a longer experience owning dogs than me, but I strongly disagree with your point of view and several aspects of your argument.  Dogs have wills and needs beyond just needing to relieve themselves.  They crave interaction, affection, feeling part of the pack so to speak, learning their place in the pack, etc. but they also want to show attention and affection to their family (pack).  The ways they communicate are limited to bodily actions (pawing, leaning, nudging, getting close, licking) because that's how they were created to communicate.  They can't use words like we do so your point about a boyfriend or husband licking isn't a good comparison, IMO.  It's the way a master learns their pet and understands them that enables an avenue of communication.  This is not to say that the dog controls the household, but the family makes a place for them and the dog learns his place through obedience training, proper correction and positive reinforcment when appropriate.  Maybe it's true that a seeing eye dog is trained as you say, but that's a specialized training and not how a normal family pet is trained.  JMHO  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  

Trusted Contributor

Jean Louise: We can disagree, the spice of life! I would like to point out that a good dog owner will make sure that their dog has had adequate attention, playtime, and affection-so that the dog is not craving it. Very few dogs have the strong personality to be a pack leader, but they know when the position has not been filled. So, if a dog doesn't recognize a leader, they instinctively try to fill the void. As I said, most dogs are not suited for the role-so it's best that the human calls the shots. An insecure dog will welcome someone else to be the pack leader. A strong pack leader will decide when it's time for play, food, etc. IOW: Make sure your pet is cared for, but don't let him dictate his schedule. That's all!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's my little guy "Smokey" on his "Big Barker" bed.  His pretty little face is a cross between a fox, a deer, a chihuahua and german shepherd.

He's 5 yrs. old and weighs 12 lbs.  When he's standing up, he looks like a miniature German Shepherd.  He has huge doe eyes like a Manga character.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  I don't know what others are seeing but on my screen, I can't see your new little cutie.  If others see him, no need to make a second effort.  I just wasn't sure what others could see.

@JeanLouiseFinch  Your approach is sound and sensible.  The whole pack theory is now outdated.  Even wolves take turns being the leader in their packs, depending on what is happening in their world at any one time.

There is a great article by Pat Miller in Whole Dog Journal (whole-dog-journal.com) about this: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_12/features/Alpha-Dogs_20416-1.html

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

No pic for me either. Just the 'x' in a box.

He sounds like a real cutie though, I wanna see him!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@RinaRina  I don't know what others are seeing but on my screen, I can't see your new little cutie.  If others see him, no need to make a second effort.  I just wasn't sure what others could see.

@JeanLouiseFinch  Your approach is sound and sensible.  The whole pack theory is now outdated.  Even wolves take turns being the leader in their packs, depending on what is happening in their world at any one time.

There is a great article by Pat Miller in Whole Dog Journal (whole-dog-journal.com) about this: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_12/features/Alpha-Dogs_20416-1.html

That pack leader theory has not been outdated: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/topdog.htm