Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

But, he won't stop licking my face.  He LOVES Dimitri's Radiance.  LOL!

Seriously, I'm not sure if I should allow him to keep licking the cream off my face.  Is it safe?  Being a beauty junkie, I'm thinking maybe I should break him of that habit pronto.   Should I?  Or will he feel rejected?

My other dog never did that.  Hmmm ...?

When I started eating, I thought, "Ugh!  I forgot to wipe off my mouth.  My  lips taste & smell like his breath.  Woman Embarassed

@RinaRina  Congratulations on the new pup.  Read everything you can and get him in obedience classes pronto.  My dog will lick lotion, body butter, etc. off my legs and try to lick my face too.  I don't particularly want him to lick it because I don't know if there's anything in the products I use that could be harmful to him.  I correct him and he usually stops.  But then there are times when he's just being sweet and playful and I'll enjoy some puppy kisses.    

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:
  And keep that cat in line. It should not be allowed to attack another animal - dog or cat or whatever. Don't let it claw your pup's eyes!

=======
This is an indoor/outdoor cat.  She LOVED my other dog.  However, she is VICIOUS!  She's very tiny but all the cats (and TOM cats) in the neighborhood are afraid of her.  I've seen her action.  As tiny as she is, she has no fear. 
"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I've had a lot of dogs in my 81 years, and they all licked - but I preferred to keep my face free of "stuff" when I worked with them.  I don't know of any cosmetic products that are recommended for consumption by dogs or humans.  

===========================

When I was at the shelter & she started licking my face, I was thinking "oh no!  my serum!  my Radiance!  I use all of Dimitri's Skinn products and love them. 

Oh well. ..Thanks for the tip.  I think I'll go wash my face.  LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I've had a lot of dogs in my 81 years, and they all licked - but I preferred to keep my face free of "stuff" when I worked with them.  I don't know of any cosmetic products that are recommended for consumption by dogs or humans.  

Seems to me that the pup is so grateful to have been chosen for a home that he is overcome with the joy of belonging and wants to show his affection for the person who rescued him.  I'd say wash your face and enjoy the love you are already receiving from a new pet.  You should feel blessed!  And keep that cat in line. It should not be allowed to attack another animal - dog or cat or whatever. Don't let it claw your pup's eyes!

P.S.  We have an English gentleman on our block who  is a certified dog trainer, and he assures me that your dog is showing gratitude and affection; and don't worry about the "dominance" idea.  He says let him lick and know that you have a new best friend.

I have four dogs and not a single one licks or jumps on people.  One of them loves the taste of metal and will take a swipe at a bracelet or my watch.  I couldn't tell you how many pieces of jewelry she has chewed and ruined, but she doesn't lick skin.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina.  I'm so happy you got a new dog.  You must tell us about him.  If he has testicles, he hasn't been neutered.  What does he look like?  What color?  Breed?  How about a picture, please?  Now let the naming begin....

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: I Just Got a New Dog!

[ Edited ]

@Lacey1 wrote:

I've owned dogs all of my life and consider myself a pretty good dog person. I would NEVER let a dog lick my face. Not only is it pretty unhygenic-it's a dominance thing. If you let a dog lick your face, paw you, nudge you with a toy, or make you do something-he/she is exerting dominance. You need to be the pack leader.

This can manifest itself in lots of undeirable behaviors, including separation anxiety. If the dog feels that he/she is the pack leader-and a subordinate member of the pack leaves without their permission, (you going to work, for instance)-they don't understand.

Read up on dog behavior. Especially if this dog has come from a bad home situation. Good luck!

@Lacey1  I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but how do you differenciate between exhibiting dominance and the dog communicating with the master?  My dog exihibits some of the behaviors you deem "undesireable" as his way of communicating (needing attention, wanting to play, showing love, etc.), yet when I command him to do something else, he knows who is boss.  He's three and we still crate him every night.  He knows that's his place and we say, "go to bed" and he goes whether it's night time or we're puting him in thre while we're going to be away running errands.  He even knows to go in there all on his own if we happen to take a plate of lunch or dinner downstairs and eat while watching a tv program.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@RinaRina.  I'm so happy you got a new dog.  You must tell us about him.  If he has testicles, he hasn't been neutered.  What does he look like?  What color?  Breed?  How about a picture, please?  Now let the naming begin....

=====================

I have the Spay/Neuter Certificate.  It says he was neutered on 08-07-15.  When I asked the Pet Insurance lady about it, she said, "maybe they left the sack".  I'm not used to walking a MALE dog.  Looking at those testi(les swinging while we're walking is not real appealing to me.  LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Just Got a New Dog!

[ Edited ]

@RinaRinaCongratulations on your new dog!!!  So exciting!  I vote, let him lick!  (as you can tell by my avatar)

As far as seeing "swinging action" in the back, I would be skeptacle  (sp?) about him being neutered - I am going by your description.  When you take him to the vet for his check up, be sure to ask him.  Usually the skin that holds the testicles is slack after neutering and then tends to shrink.  It shouldn't be full and swinging. 

Take a deep breath and enjoy your new baby.  This is a great day for both of you.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@RinaRinaCongratulations on your new dog!!!  So exciting!  I vote, let him lick!  (as you can tell by my avatar)

As far as seeing "swinging action" in the back, I would be skeptacle  (sp?) about him being neutered - I am going by your description.  When you take him to the vet for his check up, be sure to ask him.  Usually the skin that holds the testicles is slack after neutering and then tends to shrink.  It shouldn't be full and swinging. 

Take a deep breath and enjoy your new baby.  This is a great day for both of you.

=========================

Re: "skin that holds the testicles is slack"

Yep, it's "slack".  I suppose that's Y the Pet Insurance lady called it a "sack".

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

===========================
Ewwww! I just clicked your avatar.  LOL!  Okay!  Woman LOL