Super Contributor

I Hope This Helps (Sorry For the Long Post)

I recently had a big breakthrough in helping my ailing, elderly cat and I want to pass it on in the hope that it might help someone out there.  My cat has a number of illnesses and takes a lot of pills (the vet thinks most of these illnesses stem from her trying to survive as a long-time stray) but the biggest problem has been Inflammatory Bowel Disease which has resulted in weight loss and constant diarrhea for about two years now.  Working with the vet (and various medications), I have tried every kind of food, all grain free, to no avail. Recently my cat really started to lose weight and a week ago the diarrhea situation seemed to get even worse.  I went on the internet and read everything in sight and the one thing I kept coming up with was raw food (not only for IBD but for other problems as well).  There were lots of good articles and lots of good comments from satisfied customers so I decided we had nothing to lose.  My large pet store had a good variety and I eventually decided (I won't mention the brand name) on a nutritious raw, freeze dried food that comes in little bricks that you crumble into water (I use lukewarm) and mix up thoroughly (introduce it gradually while weaning your cat off your current food).  Later on you could also give a tiny spoonful of the cat's own food with the raw food just for variety.  It has now been almost a week and I cannot tell you the difference in my cat (and in me after the frustration of watching her suffer for so long).  Suddenly she loves her food and eats it all, her coat feels softer, she is playful and her old, active, happy self - and there is NO DIARRHEA, just normal stool.  I am now hoping for a weight gain.   I totally understand that it has only been about a week and things could change and that this may not work for everybody, but if your poor cat (or dog) is suffering, please at least (with your vet) consider raw, freeze dried food.  It is a little bit pricey but buying less canned food should offset the cost somewhat.  I realize all of this could change in an instant but for now I am going with the flow because we don't have much to lose anyway.  I apologize for the long post but I sincerely hope this post will help at least one suffering animal (and its worried owner) out there.  My very best wishes to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Hope This Helps (Sorry For the Long Post)

I think your post was great and I wish you and your cat all the best!

Honored Contributor

I truly appreciate the fact that you shared. As Polly gets older, I keep notes on the best ways to give her a long healthy life.
Super Contributor

This is great news! I have 2 cats, actual sisters and both have IBD but they manifest in each cat differently. My one cat, Faith vomits a lot so she is on duck and pea plus 2 medications.  Can never predict her vomiting episodes.  She and Virginia will be 10 in Sept.  I pray a lot that they both continue to hold steady and can be managed. Virginia is on special food and I have medication for her if she has a flare up of diarrhea.  Breaks my heart to see them sick but so far they are holding steady.  Your news is wonderful and here is hoping your kitty stays this way and gains weight!

Good luck.

Nancy from MA

Valued Contributor

Hi Fona, glad you found something that seems to be working for you & your kitty. I wish you continued success! I have friends who have been through this with their kitties & it is extremely frustrating & it breaks their hearts that they cant seem to find a cure.

Super Contributor

Thank you all so much for your kind words, which I really appreciate.  IBD is a horrible disease and so far it seems that there isn't a cure so anything we can do to help our animals is worth the effort.  (And keep in mind that it seems a raw food diet could also be good for other diseases, not just IBD.)   My very best wishes to all of you fond "parents" who are trying to keep your animals healthy.

Nj:  I am particularly glad that you seem to have a good routine going for your two girls and I hope they improve as time goes on. 

Contributor

My Maine Coon had loose stools off and on for quite a while until I switched him to RAD Cat frozen raw diet. Since then - no loose stools, smaller stools and much less oder.  It has made a tremendous difference.  Just sorry I did not make the change sooner.

Honored Contributor

Glad that is working well for you!

My dog has IBS but the dramatic change came when we added probiotics daily to his diet (forti flora). That and the freeze dried raw food we use has completely eliminated his diarrhea issues.  It took a few months to see dramatic changes but by 3 months or so, he was completely normal and has been now for atl least 3 years so it does take a bit for the change to occur because the good bacteria needs to replace the bad and then colonize in the gut. Have you ever considered  adding probiotics into your cat's diet too (forti flora makes a cat version too), above and beyond what is already in their food?

Good luck to you and here's hoping to continued success for your cat!

Super Contributor

Tedsmom:  I am so happy to hear about your Maine Coon (they are such beautiful cats).  The more I hear about raw food diets, the more convinced I am that they are not "shouted about" as much as they should be.  I spoke to my vet a year ago about trying a raw food diet for my elderly cat but she wasn't at all enthusiastic.  Unfortunately I listened to her then forgot about it, so my cat has suffered diarrhea bouts for a year longer than necessary.  Last week I was so upset at the onset of really bad diarrhea I just went ahead and started my cat on the raw freeze-dried food, and the results so far are very good.  It is indeed true that sometimes you just have to follow your own instincts. 

Happydaze:  The news about your dog is wonderful.  Actually, as well as the freeze dried raw food, my cat has also been taking the probiotic FortiFlora for over a month now, but I was very pleased you mentioned how long it took to see results in your dog as I had no idea how long the process might take, and now I'll be patient.   

Trusted Contributor

My sister adopted 2 Persian brothers, Humphrey and Bogart.    One had poop problems.   She took him to the vet and, after a colonoscopy. was diagnosed with Coilitis.   He had a special diet and meds.    She finally started him on a raw diet and, with the blessing of the vet lessened his meds and special food.    He has gained a healthy weight, too.    If she would switch back to processed food, he would regress.    Raw wos for him.    He brother eats it, also.    She is in Canada and gets it from a specialty pet store.