Regular Contributor

Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food??

My little shih tsu has been struggling with stomach issues.  He's been on grain free food for years.  He's been having lots of bloody stools and whines a lot.  Vet feels since my dog is getting older, he needs a less protein rich diet (xrays showed swollen stomach lining and gas pockets).  She prescribed Royal Canine RX food.  I love my dog to pieces but this food is $5 a can.  That plus dry food daily will cost $200+ a month.  I'm on a fixed income so that's really taxing my budget.  I will find a way to buy it if that's what helps him.  Just wondering if anyolne has experience with this kind of condition and if so, what diet works best.  Thanks in advance.

Betty

Respected Contributor

Re: Hydrolyzed Protein Dog Food??

@betty423   Go to another vet.  Bloody stools and whining doesn't sound like an upset stomach.

PLEASE go see another vet for tests.  Explain that you are on a fixed income.

Can you try making your own food?  I know our dachshund when I was a kid was on a 1/2 rice and 1/2 chicken diet for years.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@betty423   i was at  the vet just a couple of weeks ago, with a new rescue dog. she told me, that they are finding grain free might be causing cancer in some dogs, and that she thinks that the grain free is a fad.  

here we think that going grain free is the best thing to do for our pets, i had been having feeding issues as well. 

she also reccommended the royal canin. 

just don't know anymore. bought the blue buffalo for both dog and cat, and the cat flat refused if. after two days, she was trying to eat a dinner roll.  dogs didn't like it either. '

sigh. don't you wish they could talk?  seems like everyone is just so darn picky. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

They did xrays that showed inflammation of his stomach lining and gas pockets.  The xrays are also being read by a board certified ved radiologist tomorrow for confirmation.  I'll post what I find out from him/her.

Last week they did the giardia test - negative.  Basic bloodwork - all normal.  No fever.

As far as making his food, I absolutely would.  I had a SIL who used to make a crockpot full of dog food every Sunday for the coming week.  She'd do chicken, rice, squash, etc.

Thaks for replying.

Betty.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kittyloo I said the same thing to my Vet; I wish he could talk to me and tell me what's wrong.

This Vet also is not a fan of grain free.  She didn't mention cancer but said studies are showing it causes heart issues.  My previous Vet put him on grain free food 3 years ago.   Yikes!  

Betty

Honored Contributor

During our last Vet visit. The Vet also stressed not to feed our dog grain free food. And she also talked about Blue Buffalo having quite a commercial campaign but did not recommend feeding Blue Buffalo to our dog.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@betty423 

Does your dog have diarrhea?  Is he eating well despite his condition?  Is he vomiting?  If he's whining...sounds like he's in pain.  A number of things could be wrong, but it's not normal for blood to be in the stool. 

Surprised your vet didn't put your dog on a rice and boiled chicken diet for a while to see if he got better.  Then add a few vegetables...peas, carrots, pumpkin.  A lot cheaper, better for the dog, and safer than trying a different dog food.  Rice is easy on the digestive system.  Suddenly changing a dog's food can cause serious problems...like pancreatitis.  Not uncommon in dogs.  

Suggest you see another vet.  Don't wait.  

Occasional Contributor

I have a Yorkie that is eating Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein dry & the canned meat.  She was having the same issues.  I purchase the dry food from Chewy.Com.  I buy the large bag 17.6 lb.  I also have another Yorkie that is eating the dry food also.  I usually purchase the canned food from my Vet.  about $4.00 a can.  I divide the can meat and freeze 2 small containers as my little one doesn't eat alot and I don't want it to spoil.(It is pricey)   

Occasional Contributor

I have a large breed dog that was losing weight and had diarrhea last year, this might not be related to your dog’s problems but some of the symptoms sound similar.....our vet did one blood test and confirmed her suspicions. My dog’s stomach had an overgrowth of bacteria and something was off in her liver. Twice a day she gets a certain amount of Tylosin Tartrate and a Pancreatic Enzyme Concentrate..both powders, and a Pepcid ac tablet mixed in her food. I thought she was going to die before we started this routine......medicine has sure come a long way for animals. Best of luck to you with your little dog....

Valued Contributor

Maybe you could try making your own dog food?

My standard poodles have been eating my homemade “toppers” for the last couple of months.  I cook a big package of chicken drumsticks in my crockpot for at least 12 hours.  This allows the bones to disintegrate. (My dogs eat bones and all.)  When the chicken reaches this point,  I will add steamed sweet potatoes, carrots and  brocolli.  I’ll add fresh ginger and one clove of garlic (my dogs can tolerate the small amount of garlic).

Sometimes I get a package of gizzards and hearts and cook them in a pan and then add them at the end. Sometimes I’ll add some liver.

Sometimes I add sardines or apples.

When it is finished, I’ll pack it into quart sized baggies and put in my freezer.  When I feed them, I use the topper over Call of the Wild crunchies (50/50).

If I can get my chicken legs on sale, it is an inexpensive way to feed my dogs and they love it.

Here is a good reference site for homemade dog food:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_7/features/Home-Prepared-Dog-Food-Nutritional-Informatio...

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela