Trusted Contributor

Humane Society vs Vets office for Dog neutering?

[ Edited ]

Pros and cons?

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Do the Veteranarians do everything from start to finish or do the vet techs help out? TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Humane Society vs Vets office for neutering?

I gotta think this varies widely, according to which Humane Society and which Vets office.  Humane Society is probably cheaper, but that is not an absolute, either. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Humane Society vs Vets office for Dog neutering?

I have done both. I have had them done at our humane society, vet and have had cats fixed at a TNR facility. All have come back with no problems. Our local TNR facility charges $25.00 for cats even if they aren't feral , humane society is reasonable, local vet is ridiculous.

Esteemed Contributor

Neutering is a relatively simple procedure.  The procedure itself is done by a vet with a techs assistance.  Most Humane Societies/shelters have a list of local vets who perform the procedure for a reduced rate.  When I got my last dog from the county pound, you picked them up at the vets office after the procedures was done.  Tuesdays it was at ones office, Fridays at another.  I would feel comfortable at either place.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would definitely find out which anesthesia they use at both places.  In my town the Humane Society doesn't use the same thing.  It's cheaper but it isn't nearly as safe.  My Vet uses the same procedure that they use at the Vet School here, and it's a much safer procedure.  Also make sure they will give pain meds after the procedure.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for your informationSmiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here, our Humane Society only does spay/neuter for the animals they adopt out, not the general public. 

In the case of puppies/kittens, you have to pay in advance for their spay/neuter when age appropriate or face a $500 fine, if you don't bring the animal back for it.

Our Animal Control only adopts out through any of our Rescue groups, who has them spayed/neutered before adoption. In the case of puppies/kittens, the same rule/fine applies.

Our Animal Control vets are not available to the general public either.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Our 5 yo Yorkie has always gone to animal control vets.   She just had her teeth cleaned wth 2 molars and 3 baby teeth pulled.  They gave her pre op antibiotics and post op pain pills.  I believe the anethesia was propofol.  She came home in 5 hours very chipper.. Raring to go!  

My friend with a 7 yo Yorkie had her dogs teeth cleaned at her vets.   One molar pulled.  Her bill $900.  My bill....less than $300.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have never used our vet for neutering.  He charges about $350. and our Humane Society ( neuters any dog, not just "their" dogs) charges $72.  That is a no brainer for me. The vets at the Humane Society do this all day long, every day. All of our dogs have done great, supposedly the surgery is very simple.

Esteemed Contributor

I had my dog neutered in November at my vet's office.  Between the surgery, pre-op blood work (new to me), and post-op drugs, my bill was just over $500.  Prices are getting out of hand at vet offices.

My daughter had her dog neutered a few months prior to that at the Humane Society.  Her bill was $150.

I think it makes much more sense to go the Humane Society route and will do this, for sure, the next time.