Frequent Contributor

Re: Humane Society vs Vets office for Dog neutering?

Agree with others about pricey charges of veterinarians for these relatively short and definitely routine procedures. Usually a local rescue society or animal welfare group (depending on your area) can provide the same for a major reduced fee.  As far as safety, there is always a risk to an animal undergoing anesthesia, but again, the local groups usually employ licensed vets, and this is probably the most common surgery that they perform.

There is also a national pet society called Friends of Animals (FoA) that you can find online that subsidizes spay/neuter procedures through local vets at a really reduced rate.  I am just not sure if they are available in all areas.  This is usually referred to as a low cost spay/neuter program.  

Hope this helps.  Let us know how you make out.

Trusted Contributor

We would only go to our vet. When our cats were neutered, they were kept overnight so their blood pressure could be monitored. Expensive but we felt much more comfortable.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I haven't had a dog done in years but I had our two kittens done and it was 300 dollars at the vets. We are new to this area. Where we used to live it was 29 dollars for males and 45 for females and I had no issues when I had my last rescue kittens done at the mobile spay and neuter clinic. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Thanks again everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

Follow up:

It has been 3 Days post op, We are very happy with our humane society's neutering.  It cost $130 with neutering and the microchipping which is very affordable.

I was able to pick up our Dog after 8 hrs with excellent results, I couldnt be happier with the outcome.  Thanks again for all your valuable answers.

I did get a comfy cone prior and brought it along, it seems to be more comfortable for sleeping in than the e-collar . I put his name on it so it didnt get lost or misplaced.

We put it on him for 4 days prior to get him used to it.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Black Horse, thanks for the update.  I am glad everything worked out okay for your dog and he's now recovering.  Also, it sounds like you got a fair price, considering the additional microchipping being done.

Valued Contributor

In my state the Vet Colleges visit the counties and do both for experience.  I is very cheep.  I think the llast cats I had done which were ferel were $25 and $40.  Check with local Vet Colleges in your area.  They need esperience and it worked good for me.  I have done a lot rescure work dog and cat.