Honored Contributor

Re: How would you handle dog poo left all over the neighborhood?

We have a neighbor that does not clean up after her two.  Will say she only lets them out in her own backyard but the smell is disgusting when you want to be out in the yard or have the windows open.  She lets it petrify and will just mow right over it.  Waiting until the lawn mower breaks because of it or it flies out the back of the mower and takes an eye out.  

Valued Contributor

I had next door neighbors one time who let their dog poo in my yard constantly. (I knew cuz I watched it do it over & over) I also had a dog. I picked up the poo and put it in a pile on their front step area. Left a note that said "I don't let my dog poop in your yard, please return the favor" Didn't have a problem after that.

cookin

Respected Contributor

Leave the poo in their mailbox.  That cures that problem real fast.  Believe me, I’ve done it.  

Respected Contributor

One person in the complex where my mother lived put up a warning sign saying something like “Lawn treated with chemicals”. That put a complete stop to people letting their pets poop there. Even scofflaws love their pets. Who knew?

Honored Contributor

We live at the end of our street...the last house on a long block....Just the length of a walk a dog needs to his/her business. We got disgusted cleaning up from other dogs on our property. Our beagles are fenced and we clean their area, but other dogs’ poop is not our responsibility.

I purchased a handheld, loud squeeze ball horn and hung out on my patio facing the street where the offenders usually stop. Every time I saw the dog begin to “assume the position”, I squeezed the black rubber bulb which let out a ear ringing horn sound!! Not only did the dog freeze, the owner almost joined in the “offense”.

At that point, I yelled out “Excuse me, please don’t stop here w/ your dog anymore. I’ve been watching and you don’t bag it.” Word spread around the neighborhood in a few days about the nutty lady w/ the horn at the end of the street. Don’t care. No more poop in our yard.

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

We live at the end of our street...the last house on a long block....Just the length of a walk a dog needs to his/her business. We got disgusted cleaning up from other dogs on our property. Our beagles are fenced and we clean their area, but other dogs’ poop is not our responsibility.

I purchased a handheld, loud squeeze ball horn and hung out on my patio facing the street where the offenders usually stop. Every time I saw the dog begin to “assume the position”, I squeezed the black rubber bulb which let out a ear ringing horn sound!! Not only did the dog freeze, the owner almost joined in the “offense”.

At that point, I yelled out “Excuse me, please don’t stop here w/ your dog anymore. I’ve been watching and you don’t bag it.” Word spread around the neighborhood in a few days about the nutty lady w/ the horn at the end of the street. Don’t care. No more poop in our yard.

How do you have time to watch all the dogs trying to do their business?

Honored Contributor

This is a tricky one, if you leave any notes or talk to them about it you take a chance of making them angry and they might "get even".  If it were me I would just ignore it and chalk it up to thats life in a neighborhood.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

put it on their front porch and ring the door bell..  hopefully they will come out and step on it.  

Trusted Contributor

There are some good signs here:  

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+poop+signs&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS739US739&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ve...

Some are more on the polite side and some of the others are pretty funny!

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21  I would call the NON emergency number of the police or call your village and ask what can be done.  That is disgusting.  Cat MadCat Tongue 

kindness is strength