Honored Contributor

Re: How would you handle dog poo left all over the neighborhood?

@missy1wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

We live at the end of our street...the last house on a long block....Just the length of a walk a dog needs to his/her business. We got disgusted cleaning up from other dogs on our property. Our beagles are fenced and we clean their area, but other dogs’ poop is not our responsibility.

I purchased a handheld, loud squeeze ball horn and hung out on my patio facing the street where the offenders usually stop. Every time I saw the dog begin to “assume the position”, I squeezed the black rubber bulb which let out a ear ringing horn sound!! Not only did the dog freeze, the owner almost joined in the “offense”.

At that point, I yelled out “Excuse me, please don’t stop here w/ your dog anymore. I’ve been watching and you don’t bag it.” Word spread around the neighborhood in a few days about the nutty lady w/ the horn at the end of the street. Don’t care. No more poop in our yard.

How do you have time to watch all the dogs trying to do their business?

@missy1  Their “fur parents” bring them by the same 3 times each day...before they leave for work (8-8:45), when they get home from work (5:30-6) and before everyone turns in for the night (9:30-10). I only had to sit out on the patio those times for 2 days. We’ve lived here 21 yrs. These doggies & owners are fairly regular. Lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live across the street from wetlands so there are no homes there.  When we need to run our dog out, we'll run across the street, and we ALWAYS pick up if she does both.  There is a sidewalk and people will walk their dogs and at times we'll see dog poop when there is a new person in the area, or someone gets lazy.  Maybe they think that because there are not homes there, that they can leave the poop, but,  you must pick up throughout our entire community.  If it happens too often, my husband will go across the street with a big piece of chalk and write on the sidewalk....  PLEASE PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG.  This is usually helpful and people get the message....   maybe because they think someone is watching.  Who knows?!!! 

We have someone who picks up in little silver bags throughout our area.  How do we know they are silver?  Because after he picks up, he ties a knot and LEAVES THE BAG RIGHT THERE!  I'd love an explanation for that one!

Esteemed Contributor

Zero tolerance for these people.. This happened to me. I have five rescue pooch's and I would never let any of my dogs do this. I knew for sure the person who let there dog do this. I calmly picked up the poop and delivered it with a note that said .. 'I believe this belongs to you." Never did I have a problem with this person and she started to clean up her dogs mess also. Part of having a dog is cleaning up after it. If these people can not bend over and pick up there dogs poop then they should not have a animal. There is no reason for  people who own dogs to do this. Woman Mad

Esteemed Contributor

@nyc1wrote:

We live across the street from wetlands so there are no homes there.  When we need to run our dog out, we'll run across the street, and we ALWAYS pick up if she does both.  There is a sidewalk and people will walk their dogs and at times we'll see dog poop when there is a new person in the area, or someone gets lazy.  Maybe they think that because there are not homes there, that they can leave the poop, but,  you must pick up throughout our entire community.  If it happens too often, my husband will go across the street with a big piece of chalk and write on the sidewalk....  PLEASE PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG.  This is usually helpful and people get the message....   maybe because they think someone is watching.  Who knows?!!! 

We have someone who picks up in little silver bags throughout our area.  How do we know they are silver?  Because after he picks up, he ties a knot and LEAVES THE BAG RIGHT THERE!  I'd love an explanation for that one!

Cannot speak for this person, however if I am walking and I think I will be coming back that way I will leave the bag and pick it up on my way back.  Yet there have been times when I have decided to go a different path and have forgotten the bag left behind.  Sometimes it is there waiting the next day sometimes not. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

@CrazyDaisy, your post made me chuckle. I have a 5 lb Pom, and walk with a kleenex in a sandwich bag. If I tried that, it'd just blow away!

Years ago, with a different Pom, my son would walk him with a full-size paper grocery bag. The dog would have fit in it.

Esteemed Contributor

@summerwindwrote:

@CrazyDaisy, your post made me chuckle. I have a 5 lb Pom, and walk with a kleenex in a sandwich bag. If I tried that, it'd just blow away!

Years ago, with a different Pom, my son would walk him with a full-size paper grocery bag. The dog would have fit in it.

Oh my bags would not blow away, well maybe in a hurricane. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisywrote:

@nyc1wrote:

Cannot speak for this person, however if I am walking and I think I will be coming back that way I will leave the bag and pick it up on my way back.  Yet there have been times when I have decided to go a different path and have forgotten the bag left behind.  Sometimes it is there waiting the next day sometimes not. 

@CrazyDaisy  That's what we thought when we first saw them....  but they are now all over the neighborhood, so, I don't think so!

Respected Contributor

Whats the big deal if you see it happening on your property  stop them in the act then say something. If someone  left me a note I would go postal

Valued Contributor

I had a neighbor with two large dogs, german shepherds.  That poor mother dog had 26 puppies in a year.  Anyway she kept them in the garage at night and when she opened the door to let them out they would run across her driveway and into mine and then my grass in front of my house.  I saw the dogs and told her about it.  She did nothing.  I called animal control and they said it was my word against hers.  So I got tired of the mess and took one of her dogs to the local animal control.  I told them who the owner was, her address and why I brought the dog in.  She was contacted twice and never went for the dog.  I took the pup not the mother dog.  My neighbor on the other side of her said this woman said she didn't want the pup anyway.  Figure.  Said I did her a favor.  From that time on the kids on the street said I was a dog killer.  Strange since I had 4 dogs of my own that were fenced in and didn't go in anyone's yard but mine.  The dog owner moved a few years later and since then all my neighbors have dogs, I have one myself, and they stay in their yards.  Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  My front yard is the only part that wasn't fenced in, big dogs, big mess.  It's true, only bad owners.