Respected Contributor

Re: How would you handle dog poo left all over the neighborhood?

@Vivian  Here’s another approach to avoid: Several years ago, I was walking in a nearby neighborhood. A young couple was walking their dog on the other side of the street. Suddenly, this 40-something guy comes running after them holding a shovel with something (dog poop) on it and threatening to throw it on them. It was kind of funny (to me) until I realized that the guy was serious. Luckily, the young couple ignored him or there could’ve been a fight. I think the shovel guy and his wife had young children at the time who couldn’t play on their front lawn because of the dog poop. Nevertheless, running after people with a poopy shovel like a maniac might not achieve the desired result.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Use an inside out ziplock bag over your hand, pick the poop up and toss just the lump over on their side. Then just turn the bag right side out, zip it, throw it away. Or toss it bag & all, whatever, to their yard.

When my kids were little and had to poop I didn't walk them over to my neighbors yard and have them poop there so why should they bring their dog to poop in yours? Poop is poop no matter from whose rear end it came from. I have no tolerance for that.

I have a sewer easement (big pipe down in the ground) that runs through my back yard and a sewer grate out front at the curb. There is always water running through it going to some stream somewhere. Anyhow a couple of years back some bright bulb woman would walk her dog, pick up the poop with doggie poop bags and drop them down that sewer grate. One neighbor got so ticked off about it he carefully and quietly followed her home one day just to see where she lived and then reported her to the town. Now right above the grate opening screwed or nailed or whatever they did, is a round metal plate saying NOT to dispose of anything down the grate.Whether she got fined or anything I don't know. By sewer grate I mean one of those heavy metal things with bars across it, maybe 3 ft. long and a couple of feet wide....maybe not quite that big but just to try to clarify what I mean by sewer grate in case that's not what they're actually called. Rain water runs along the curb and into it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have that problem in our neighborhood too. I live in a small development that Is surrounded by very old neighborhoods. It used to be a farmers field.

Because the land was leveled and the streets are wide and smooth...we have a lot of walkers, bike riders, dog walkers and kids who play games on the street. Many of these people do not live  in our development, but they come here to engage in some activity.

Every day, I find bottles, cans, paper wrappers and other junk that was just thrown on the street when someone was done with their refreshments.  We also get people who do not clean up after their dogs.  

I live on a corner and there is a fire hydrant and large blue spruce tree there.  I also have a mail box right at the curb...things that attract dogs. Luckily, I have large LR windows and can see people who do not curb their dogs and do not clean up.

When I see someone tossing their trash, or not picking up after their dogs, I open my front door and ask them not to mess up the neighborhood.  If the person has a dog and it made a mess, I hand them a plastic bag. And tell them to clean it up.

Because I have two dogs that I walk, I notice that some of my neighbors have signs in their yard that say “curb your dog” “ if your dog poops, please scoop” “ Not accepting dog poop deposits” “pick up your dog poop”

i have noticed that the dog poop problem is not as bad anymore as it used to be.  I guess the signs are working.

However, we have one elderly very overweight man who walks his large dog and does not clean up at all.  His dog always goes in the lot across the street where kids play.    This man walks with a walker as slow as molasses.  I don’t think he can bend down even if he had to.  I have to make sure he isn’t around before I take my dogs out.  His dog always pulls in our direction when he see my dogs and mine bark and pull too.

i am always afraid he will get pulled down and get hurt. I don’t know where he lives, but I wish he would walk somewhere else. He only started to walk his dog this past winter.  His ambulation is so bad that he shouldn’t even be walking a dog at all. It is just a matter of time before he falls.  He is too big for anyone to help him get up if he does.

We have laws in our township that say that you must pick up after your dogs. We have a clean up the ground water thing going on and each homeowner is assessed a fee to help pay for it. Dog  poop goes into the ground water when it is not cleaned up. 

The police will come out if you make complaint and tell people to pick up their dog’s mess and they will fine you if it continues.  But someone has to report them or they don’t know.

Now, don’t get me started with the cats in my neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21  This is a pet peeve of mine as well.  I live in a very nice neighborhood.. and dog stations with free poop bags and trash containers are all around... yet, believe it or not I find poop RIGHT NEXT TO THE STAND WITH THE POOP BAGS AND TRASH CAN!  I mean how terribly unthoughtful and rude AND LAZY  can you be?  I pick up other people's dog poo and other people's trash( a lot of people just dump the trash out of their cars onto to sidewalk....)  as well on my walks...

I know I can not make people pick up after themselves so my only way to deal with it is to clean up after them... at least it gets cleaned up.  I think that if you confront your neighbors they are going to take offense  and you will have that issue of angry neighbors... so get some poop bags... take a plastic trash bag with you and pick it up.. Maybe if your neighbors see you picking up THEIR DOG POO, they will feel guilty and start to pick it up themselves.  You never know! 

In some dog parks  now they are actually doing DNA on dog poo left about  and not picked up... some how they figure out who is leaving it( video or something) and they have the proof of the DNA from the poo as evidence.  They pay a hefty fine.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden@I like the idea of DNA.We used to have a person walk their dog over to our lawn to poop and then turn around and go home.We put out signs and finally mentioned it to the offender.Didnt say we knew it was his dog but asked if he could keep an eye out while he was walking and report to us if he saw anything.LOL that worked.

Trusted Contributor

Huge pet peeve of mine.  If you can't bend over and pick up after your pet, don't have a pet. 

I would absolutely bring this to their attention.  It's a health hazzard for anyone who has a compromised immune system, is elderly, and for other pets too! 

Lazy, sloppy, horrible.  I swear I would pick it up and put it in their dirveway with a note asking if they forgot something. 

It happens in my neighborhood - mostly in the winter --I wish i were home during the day to see who it is.  It is so inconsiderate.  How dare they? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago there was a dog that routinely pooped at my mailbox.  I had no idea whose it was.  I was talking to a neighbor one time (I didn't think it was her dog) and mentioned to her that it irritated me and did she know who was doing it.  She sheepishly said that it was probably her dog.  It never happened again.

After that I would see her and her husband walking their dogs carrying poop bags.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@dexwrote:

@SeaMaiden@I like the idea of DNA.We used to have a person walk their dog over to our lawn to poop and then turn around and go home.We put out signs and finally mentioned it to the offender.Didnt say we knew it was his dog but asked if he could keep an eye out while he was walking and report to us if he saw anything.LOL that worked.

@dex  Now that is great!👏🏻😄

Esteemed Contributor

I did not know it was not a good thing to deposit your  dog poop into a sewer.. I thought it went to a waste place.I did it many times. Untill I happened to mention that to  my son (our Mayor) and he explained to me all about sewers.....lol

i never do that anymore...........

Valued Contributor

Some irresponsible, inconsiderate pet owner had cats that developed a liking to an area of grass by my front door. 

I purchased a motion-activated water sprinkler from Amazon.  It was very gratifying to see it in action. 

Now if only the owners of the cats would come by... Cat Very Happy