Respected Contributor

Re: How would you handle dog poo left all over the neighborhood?

[ Edited ]

I have been picking up after them since last year and just letting it go, but this is a beautiful street and it’s wrong.  Some of the other neighbors are very OCD about their lawns-

So today I left a little anonymous message next to the recent pile poked into the ground with a stick saying that it is not appropriate to leave dog poo all over the neighborhood, and asked nicely that they pick it up.  We have wooded areas all around, so they can just toss it away! 

As a responsible dog owner I find it unreal that people would just leave the poo piles all over other peoples’ property where others or they can step in it- Just disgusting.

Honored Contributor

If the neighbors are nice, why not mention it to them?  It can't hurt.  And why wouldn't the message get to all the gulity parties?  Are you saying they wouldn't have a word with their children?  Very strange.

Super Contributor

How about going out at night and putting up little signs that say, "Please don't empty your dog here, but if you do, please pick it up.."  Thanks.  Signed:  Your neighbors.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I might do what Pook suggested, anonymously send a poop scooper and collection bags to the neighbors. When I was a kid, we had offending neighbors like that. Their dog preferred one of our other neighbors’ lawn and made a real mess of it, despite protests. So, one night, the victims scooped up the poop and smeared it all over the windshield of the offending owners’ car. I do not recommend this approach but it did work. Scooping was conducted from that night onward.

Respected Contributor

Engage your neighbor in a friendly conversation about whatever, and then, “oh by the way.....”. You can embellish saying you stepped in it, your kids did, makes extra work for you, etc.  If kids walk the dog, you can bet they aren’t picking up. Take some Easter cookies over, gossip about the neighborhood, then mention the issue. 

When my son was three years old, he fell walking on some grass and put his hand right in a pile of dog poop.

Dog poop is actually an environmental hazard as over time it washes into rivers, lakes and the ocean. The bacteria it contains is unhealthy for water conditions and people in the water. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's always a tough one.  

Let 'em know you notice it and would appreciate their follow through.  We can nitpick all day long about things that bother us but that is gross.  In my municipality, a misdemeanor punishable by fine.

They don't like it, they don't.  Neither do you like the #2 everywhere.  I am a lifetime dog owner and I think it is gross and irresponsible.  People like that give the rest of "us" a bad name.

Yes, one dog (esp a large one) can make a terrific mess.  Disgusting if the owner does not behave responsibly.  Not the dog's fault.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We have a resident "expert" on this topic.Cat Wink

Perhaps she'll weigh in.  

Honored Contributor

Put a sign”.please no dogs pooping on the lawn.We are vegan”

Valued Contributor

I wouldn’t hesitate to leave a note on the front door or mention it to them.  

Honored Contributor

How about when you meet them in the driveway sometime you point to some poop and say "Do you know who is letting their dog poop all around and not picking it up?  I KNOW it COULDN'T be YOU or your KIDS because you all are SO nice and would never do that."

I think that's about as far as I would want to go.