Respected Contributor

How would you handle dog poo left all over the neighborhood?

I have some nice neighbors that are definitely the culprits not picking up after their dog (it may be their kids who walk the dog)... Should I leave a friendly reminder note in their mailbox? I don’t know if the message will get to all the guilty parties... Or leave a note on one of the piles so they find it? Other suggestions? Thanks for your thoughts-

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How would you handle dog poo left all over the neighborhood?

@Skyegirl21  If your neighbors are "nice," I probably wouldn't do anything. How much can one dog be doing?

I would chalk it up to living around others.

Respected Contributor

Do you have an HOA or online community board?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No association, just a regular neighborhood street...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How much poop can one dog be doing?  A lot!  Years ago I lived in neighborhood where the houses were kind of close.  One neighbor right next to me never cleaned up after their dog.  When it rained on it or snowed melted on it, it was awful.  I asked them once if they would pick after their dog and they did firva short time.

Years later, I had twins and that's when I got really angry.  I couldn't enjoy time with them in our backyard because of what we had to look at and smell.  So I called animal control or the police, I forget which and they went to the house and saw I justified I was to be upset.  

Do you know that woman knocked on my door, highly upset with me because I called on her.  We didn't speak after that for years.  But she did clean her yard better.

@YorkieonmyPillowwrote:

@Skyegirl21  If your neighbors are "nice," I probably wouldn't do anything. How much can one dog be doing?

I would chalk it up to living around others.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I find funny is most people will say "Yeah but it's biodegradable!'  They have no idea how long poo takes to decompose.... pretty much years, lol!

I agree that something needs to be done but the one you talk to, no matter how nice, will probably be offended.... Woman Frustrated

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21

I wouldn't put a note in their mailbox, that's actually a federal offense that could have repercussions for you.

Maybe an 'anonymous' note on the door (when they aren't home).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't do a thing unless you want trouble for years to come. People hold grudges and worse, they have kids. Kids may do things to your property thinking their parents won't be angry with them.

Valued Contributor

I had that happen to me recently.  The renters have a bulldog which has extremely large poops and they did it on my property.  I talked with the boys who walk the dog and they don't walk near my house any more.  I explained that I had a dog with a compromised immune system and they actually respected my explanation.  I was very surprised and happy.  There is no problem and they even say hi when they see me out.  My HOA said the only thing I could do was call the police and I chose not to because I didn't think that would make for good neighbors.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21  I would go to Amazon and have an Easy PoopAScoop with bags sent to her anonomously or if you have a dog take one to her and tell her how great and easy it is to pick up the poop and since she has a dog thought she might like it also.  Since you stated it might be thier kids not picking it up then this item is so easy to use that even thier kids can easily do it.

It is a plastic thing that you place your hand in the slots and a bag over that and you can scoop up the poop without the squishy feeling and you can't have a failure where any gets on you.