Esteemed Contributor

Re: How will you provide for your pet when you die?

@tends2dogs wrote:

We have a provision in our trust for Willie.  My sister has agreed to take him.  We have a specific amount of $$ to go to her for his care....enough for her to build a fence or run for him in her yard.  He is only 2 years old so we had to also plan for enough $$ to feed and care for him. 

It is sad to read about those of you here that won't get another pet because of your age.  My DH was 71 and I was 63 when we got Willie.  He is such a big part of our lives that we couldn't imagine not having an animal in our life.  If something, God forbid, should happen to Willie, we would get another dog, but would get an older dog.  I tell you, training a puppy was pretty exhausting LOL.

@tends2dogs, I'm your DH's age.  When I took Eddy he was listed as 10yrs old, so figured no one would want a senior pup who had had such a severe injury.  When he came here, realized he wasn't 10 but 8.  My vet who helped me with Jade, agreed to take Eddy on - he can now run and jump but doesn't realize he can jump into the jeep so his being over 64lbs I'm unable to lift him.  Anyways, long story short, vet said he's between 5 and 6 and forwarded her finding to Healthy Paws.  So now I got a "young" one - but that doesn't matter, I would have taken him regardless of age.

I should change my trust, that's on my list of things to do.  The friend who wants him has a fenced-in yard and quite capable of lifting Eddy.  My cousin, does not; I stated she'd need a 5-6' black chain-link fence:  I don't want him to feel closed in.  A trainer and the ACO both commented on Eddy's (originally Jade's) yard 'cause it's a good size.  They also told me that dogs feel safer - and it is safer (at least around here with coyotes) in a fenced-in area.  Thus, my requirement for whomever takes my boy.  

P.S.  Dan, the one with the fenced-in yard, kinda scores higher - he plans to build a thing with steps and Eddy can sit on while they eat at the table together - I kid you not!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My 3 dogs all came from the same rescue group.  If i predecease them, they would go back to the rescue which would hopefully find them another loving home.

Our Collie Rescue will also take our dog, if we predecease him. That is ome of the many reasons why Collie Rescue has an annual picnic. To keep up with the news about the dogs and their owners.

The rescue has been around 30+ years. It really is a well run organization.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme  I'd say that Dan's the man!! (with the best plan!)

Hope it doesn't come to it, but we do have to think ahead about every possible scenario.  I'd rather have things covered and then forget about it rather than worry.  Thumbs up, goldenlocks.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My 2 girls will go stay with my son if I die and they are still alive. Bootsie my oldest goes to him and sits with him when he comes over.

Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

My 75 pound dog passed away about 4 months ago.  I would love to have another dog but feel it is irresponsible at my age to get one.  

May be you can adopt a senior pet?  They have a hard time getting adopted and are just as loving as younger pets. 

Super Contributor

@BoGo7 wrote:

When my neighbor lady passed away ... she instructed my other neighbor to "put her cat down" when she died, and the cat was buried in the backyard a day after that neighbor lady passed.   This still upsets me five years later~!  (About the cat, not her).

It's sad but cats ar not as easy  to rehome as a dog.  It might have been more humane depending on the cat.  Some cats are well socialized and accept new people/environments, others do horrible. 

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

For anyone who has considered what to do about your pet when you die, I would be interested in hearing (if you want to share).

I often see pets for adoption because their owner died.  My heart breaks for them -- but, it can and does happen.

I now have a provision in my will that allows my pet to stay in our home should be both die.  Yea, I know it sounds crazy, but that's my plan at the moment.

We only have one senior boy and he will likely go before we do....but I worry about him nonetheless.

I cannot be the only one who has pondered this, so let's talk!

To me that's the most terrifying thought.  We don't have two legged kids.  My sister lives abroad.  Other family hundreds of miles away.  I didn't want to adopt younger cats anymore but fate intervened.  I worry about my cats outliving us.  Once I find a suitable caretaker I will leave money to provide for them as long as they live.  But finding that person will not be easy.  Who can guarantee that they will not pocket the money and get rid of the cats?  Even if you leave money for the cats you have to be careful that it can't be contested by family.  It varies by State and some States will not recognize your wishes for the pets.  I have not checked with an attorney in my state yet.  My husband told me not to worry since he plans to live to 100. Typical male response.  There is no easy answer.

Super Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Witchy Woman

I hate to tell you this but if there is money, you do have relatives somewhere and it's up to the courts/lawyers to find them or maybe they will find your money.

Nevertheless, your pet cannot stay in a house unattended.  Yes, a pet sitter but really who's going to move in, who's going to pay the utilities, who's going to clean, who's going to do repairs, who's going to pay the taxes and with what?

I hope you reconsider this decision and work with an attorney.  Your pet needs 24/7 care for someone who can love them/care for them and

just not sit in a house.

Have you decided who gets the house?   As for your pet, I would suggest you talk to your vet, they can help you decide what's best.  There's a lapse of time between someone dying and filing the will, it just doesn't happen overnight.   Please think this through.

Money and relatives.  You hit the nail on the head.  Usually the vultures are circling before the body is cold.  It seems even when you have a will family fights to get it changed.  As for lawyers, where do find a good one you can trust?  Had very bad experiences with lawyers.  They seem to have forgotten about ethics, took my money (twice, different ones) then remembered they couldn't represent us because they knew the other party or lived in the same corrupt town.  My luck would be I hire an attorney and he would pocket the money and kill the cats. 

Super Contributor

Food, proper vet care, especially if they get sick, will eat up money very fast.  I had 3 kitties with cancer.  Trust me $5,000.00 is nothing. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a mutual agreement with one of my brothers that we will take the other's cat(s) if one of us dies. I knew a man that after his wife died, he took their dogs to be euthanized. Doubt that his wife knew that was going to happen.