Trusted Contributor

Re: How will you provide for your pet when you die?

Don't laugh at me but...I set aside $10,000 for his care and comfort IF I die before he does. I don't think that'll happen but it makes me feel secure, knowing that Boo or any other pet I have will be well taken care of, and I've already chosen hiss subsequent care-taker too.

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

Don't laugh at me but...I set aside $10,000 for his care and comfort IF I die before he does. I don't think that'll happen but it makes me feel secure, knowing that Boo or any other pet I have will be well taken care of, and I've already chosen hiss subsequent care-taker too.

@FuzzyFace Applauding you...you are a loving pet mother!

Valued Contributor

The op must have read my mind.  Just had my will updated and I asked the lawyer what to do in the event I go before my 2 girls.  My husband loves them but is clueless.  The lawyer said some people just have the pets put down and all be buried together.  I told her it would be easier for me to put my husband to sleep.  My SIL loves kitties but she and my brother are much older than me.  She said she'd take them but ultimately I had the lawyer put in that the girls go back to the no kill shelter where I got them.  I love more girls more than anything and this is a worry.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FuzzyFace

Well, I would never laugh at you -- that's good thinking!

Visited the lawyer today and.....really didn't come up with a satisfactory plan.  My sis said she would take the one cat I have now (he's 19), but she has 5 of her own!  And, she is older than me, so....it is MORE likely I will be taking HER cats -- of course, no guarantee there, but it's possible.  And, she is in NJ and me in MD.  

Of course, the chances my current cat will outlive me are slim.  But I hold we don't know what tomorrow will bring and I like to plan.

I still don't have a solution for the problem when/if we get a new cat.  Attorney was not really any help other than suggesting my sis or one of her daughters.

The option of leaving any living pets in the home and providing a housesitter and/or pet sitter is a thought, but who do you get that would be willing to do that for years?

@bootsanne

I like your idea, but here aren't any suitable places/sanctuaries in my area to take unwanted kitties.  It's a real concern for me.  All my cats were strays that walked up.

As of this moment, I still don't have an idea/and or plan that makes me happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman, as we get older, this is a worry that every pet owner has.  While we only adopt seniors, we have a cat that is somewhere around 5 years old.  He just walked in the house one day and stayed.  Anyway, all of our family is about 400 miles from us and sending pets that far is out of the question.  I have a friend who has a farm and has agreed to take any pets who are still living in our home should the need arise.  What I have also done is arrange with our doggie daycare to take them if my friend cannot.  The doggie daycare is a family-owned business and they are wonderful.  

I do change my mind occasionally and think that I would rather just let them stay in the house and have a sitter check on them.  It is a difficult decision, but at least Delaware is a no-kill shelter state and there are senior rescues that are available if need be.  

Everyone who is a pet owner should make some type of plan and get it in writing.  If something changes then plans can change.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@FuzzyFace

You have me beat—I’m only giving $5,000 for my guys!😄  But the friend that is going to take my animals, if necessary, will also be getting the bulk of my entire estate, so I think she’ll be able to handle them.  (Financially, that is.)  She will also have access to immediate funds while my estate is being settled.  

She’s since told me that I’m not allowed to get any more pets because she doesn’t have any more room!😄

Esteemed Contributor

I've got two people who will be vying over who get to take care of my furbaby!  Kinda woder if they're looking forward to my demise!Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@FuzzyFace Applauding you...you are a loving pet mother!

awwwwwwwwwww....shucks! (blush) Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman

Check out Chesapeake Cats & Dogs.  They will take your pet, especially if there is $ available to do so.

They have many seniors who live out their days there.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have a provision in our trust for Willie.  My sister has agreed to take him.  We have a specific amount of $$ to go to her for his care....enough for her to build a fence or run for him in her yard.  He is only 2 years old so we had to also plan for enough $$ to feed and care for him. 

It is sad to read about those of you here that won't get another pet because of your age.  My DH was 71 and I was 63 when we got Willie.  He is such a big part of our lives that we couldn't imagine not having an animal in our life.  If something, God forbid, should happen to Willie, we would get another dog, but would get an older dog.  I tell you, training a puppy was pretty exhausting LOL.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!