Honored Contributor

Re: How will you provide for your pet when you die?

@TW wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

For anyone who has considered what to do about your pet when you die, I would be interested in hearing (if you want to share).

I often see pets for adoption because their owner died.  My heart breaks for them -- but, it can and does happen.

I now have a provision in my will that allows my pet to stay in our home should be both die.  Yea, I know it sounds crazy, but that's my plan at the moment.

We only have one senior boy and he will likely go before we do....but I worry about him nonetheless.

I cannot be the only one who has pondered this, so let's talk!

To me that's the most terrifying thought.  We don't have two legged kids.  My sister lives abroad.  Other family hundreds of miles away.  I didn't want to adopt younger cats anymore but fate intervened.  I worry about my cats outliving us.  Once I find a suitable caretaker I will leave money to provide for them as long as they live.  But finding that person will not be easy.  Who can guarantee that they will not pocket the money and get rid of the cats?  Even if you leave money for the cats you have to be careful that it can't be contested by family.  It varies by State and some States will not recognize your wishes for the pets.  I have not checked with an attorney in my state yet.  My husband told me not to worry since he plans to live to 100. Typical male response.  There is no easy answer.

Not sure about your area. But there are several just cats Rescue Groups in our area. They take cats in and many are because their owner passed away. It can be tough finding homes for them but each group I know work hard to find good homes for the cats. They have adoption events at Petsmart and a local Vets office once a month. Maybe you could  talk to people from a rescue group. 

Or who knows, here you are worried about your cats and your husband does live to 100.