Super Contributor

Re: How to rectify? Dog Wee on grass

As an owner of 5 dogs until recently ... including a 150 lb mastiff ... and living in the dry southwest ... the easiest and best solution I have found is to just water the urine area frequently. I water my grass and rocks year-round ... including warmer winter days. Days when it's too cold to run the lawn sprinklers, I keep a watering can handy. I do occassionally still get yellow areas ... so they get extra watering until they go away.

Esteemed Contributor

We have plenty of experience with dog/s and grass issues. We have the same grass zoysia in the side yard but the main patio/yard area was a new problem. I found the Gro-trex grass roll to work very well. I tried all sorts of grass seed and methods and finally found this Gro-trex roll. Holds up well and returns the next year.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina 

Urine. It isn't a dirty word or a bad word.

By the way, did you decide to do the volunteer work at the animal shelter?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

As an owner of 5 dogs until recently ... including a 150 lb mastiff ... and living in the dry southwest ... the easiest and best solution I have found is to just water the urine area frequently. I water my grass and rocks year-round ... including warmer winter days. Days when it's too cold to run the lawn sprinklers, I keep a watering can handy. I do occassionally still get yellow areas ... so they get extra watering until they go away.

@Wahoogaz.  And how are your well-watered rocks doing?  I'd guess just fine, as are mine.  I guess a lot of water dilutes the urine to the point where it's not so damaging.  Good hint.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Wahoogaz wrote:

@Wahoogaz.  And how are your well-watered rocks doing?  I'd guess just fine, as are mine.  I guess a lot of water dilutes the urine to the point where it's not so damaging.  Good hint.

@Kachina624One of my dogs will only go potty on the rocks ... so they've got to get watered, too.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz.  You know it's a Southwestern dog when it will only go on rocks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@RinaRina 

Urine. It isn't a dirty word or a bad word.

By the way, did you decide to do the volunteer work at the animal shelter?

===================================================

I didn't say it was.

This is a public board on QVC.  I don't know what their guidelines are ...

Yes, I decided to do the volunteer work, but I didn't get the job.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Well, you can let it kill the people down the street's grass.

==================================================

HAHA!  

Normally, I'd never let him wee in the yard.  But with my bad knee, sometimes I just can't walk him first thing in the AM.  He also hates cold and snow, so, frequently, he'll wee in the yard and then run back in the house.  If there's snow on the ground, he won't go for a walk at all 'cuz his little paws can't handle the ice.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HLP wrote:

There is something you can do to stop animal urine from killing your grass, I've used it for years and so has my son.

Mix equal parts of  lime and gypsum, and spread on your lawn, you can broadcast this, meaning throw it on, . Put it where your dogs go to the bathroom, or if its a huge area use a lawn spreader. IT WORKS. I btoadcast the area by my backdoor where the dog goes.

=============================================

You also have to plant new seed don't you?

EDIT:

Hmmm ... just started watching a Y-tube vid - apparently, the soil should be a certain PH as well.

Honored Contributor

Owned a husky for many years. When I decided I didn't want dead spots, I just hosed down the urine. If anything, grass grew faster and greener in those spots.