Esteemed Contributor

How to get rid of skunk smell

Well, thats just it.  A friend just texted me, her dog got sprayed by a skunk. I told her all I have heard of is giving the pooch a bath and using tomato juice, but haven't had one of mine sprayed. I really don't know. Does anyone have any ideas? tia

Honored Contributor

Re: How to get rid of skunk smell

[ Edited ]

@happycat - Google "dog sprayed by skunk" and you'll get a lot of advice.  Whether your friend will have any of the things on hand to bathe her dog with is another matter.  (One of the first things to come up, when I googled it, was a homemade remedy.)

I'd make sure I kept the dog isolated until she can bathe it though.  If that smell gets into the house and/or furniture it can take a while to go.  And it's an acrid smell, as I'm sure she knows by now.  Woman Sad

ETA:  Here's the first homemade "recipe":

The Best Solution
  1. ¼ cup of baking soda.
  2. 1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow.
  3. 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.
  4. Mix in a bucket and use immediately.
  5. Work the foaming mixture well into the coat.
  6. Leave on for five minutes.
  7. Rinse with warm water.
  8. Follow with dog shampoo if desired.
Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@happycat - Google "dog sprayed by skunk" and you'll get a lot of advice.  Whether your friend will have any of the things on hand to bathe her dog with is another matter.  (One of the first things to come up, when I googled it, was a homemade remedy.)

I'd make sure I kept the dog isolated until she can bathe it though.  If that smell get into the house and/or furniture it can take a while to go.  And it's an acrid smell, as I'm sure she knows by now.  Woman Sad

Thank you. It makes my eyes water just thinking about it. 

Honored Contributor

From GOOGLE:

Table of Contents

There are more suggestions,  including PRODUCTS you can buy

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@happycat - Last year my truck got sprayed by a skunk.  I had it parked next to the house and something must've spooked a skunk that's around here and maybe surprised him/her between my truck and the side of the house.

OMG, I could smell it inside the house that night.  Thank goodness it didn't get inside my truck, but it took me ages and repeatedly washing just to get that stuff off the paintwork.  It dried like glue.  (DH has a poor sense of smell and couldn't detect it at all.  Lucky him!)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia 

We have used that recipe.  The best way to apply it to the dog's coat is to dip a sponge into the solution, then apply on the dog's coat. It takes a while, but it does a good job.

The Best Solution
  1. ¼ cup of baking soda.
Honored Contributor

Years ago, our dog pulled a skunk off of the side of a tree.  I called the county agriculture service.  

The answer was to wash the dog in tomato juice and place charcoal around the house.  It took about a week, but every day was better.

If you are in a warm area, also set up fans.

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@Venezia 

We have used that recipe.  The best way to apply it to the dog's coat is to dip a sponge into the solution, then apply on the dog's coat. It takes a while, but it does a good job.

The Best Solution
  1. ¼ cup of baking soda.

I'm glad this one worked for you. I sent it to my friend.

Honored Contributor

I discovered that the only thing tomato juice will do is turn a white poodle pink.  No effect whatsoever on odor.  Since skunks are very active in my neighborhood, I keep a product called Skunk Off on hand.  Abvailable at Amazon and Chewy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I just remembered too that a company "Nature's Miracle" has a skunk smell product.  Their regular product is a good one for getting out the remains of pet stains in the house.