Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to get rid of skunk smell

Skunk smell takes time to wear off. We have family out West with a ranch and the one dog always finds a skunk.  It can take a week or two before the smell really is gone. It depends on how close they were when it sprayed  or rubbed against the scrub, etc.  It's a challenge. Good Luck.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

When that happened to us, I was a master gardener wanna-be, taking the course.  I called the guy from the university that taught the course because I knew that he had surely run into that issue at the school as they had a veterinary school as well as a school of agriculture.  He was a bashful man and said "I hope you won't mind if I tell you this, but the simplest thing (and please don't think I am being fresh or forward) is to go down to the drugstore and get some Massengil douche powders.  Do they even have that stuff now?  

Oh wow. I don't know if they do or not. I never would have thought of that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@happycat - Google "dog sprayed by skunk" and you'll get a lot of advice.  Whether your friend will have any of the things on hand to bathe her dog with is another matter.  (One of the first things to come up, when I googled it, was a homemade remedy.)

I'd make sure I kept the dog isolated until she can bathe it though.  If that smell gets into the house and/or furniture it can take a while to go.  And it's an acrid smell, as I'm sure she knows by now.  Woman Sad

ETA:  Here's the first homemade "recipe":

The Best Solution
  1. ¼ cup of baking soda.
  2. 1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow.
  3. 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.
  4. Mix in a bucket and use immediately.
  5. Work the foaming mixture well into the coat.
  6. Leave on for five minutes.
  7. Rinse with warm water.

THIS  RECIPE!!!  No to tomato juice.  I would also try XOXO if you have it on hand.  It is by Don Azlett.  It may take more than one bath.  

This is the recipe my friend used. I think it worked pretty well. Thank you for all your replies. 

Valued Contributor

I read in a recent article (can't seem to find it right now) that the first thing you should do is coat your dog in baking soda DRY. Let the BS soak up the smell BEFORE washing them. The article said that the skunk odor is an oily substance and getting it wet only spreads the stench. 

Not sure if it works, but it makes sense. Might be worth a try.

Respected Contributor

This thread is interesting. We have had our dog for 9 years and she hasn't gotten sprayed by a skunk. But a few weeks ago I opened the door to let our dog out and good thing I looked around first. There was a big skunk out there. And I know she would have chased it.as she has chased rabbits many times.

Valued Contributor

My dog got sprayed slightly by a skunk. I went to the pet store and the woman there told me to buy any kind of douche product. ( I went out and grabbed him before the skunk did a full spray). Well the douche did work surpisingly well. 

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

My dog got sprayed slightly by a skunk. I went to the pet store and the woman there told me to buy any kind of douche product. ( I went out and grabbed him before the skunk did a full spray). Well the douche did work surpisingly well. 

I mentioned Summer's Eve upthread. 

I'm glad you tried a douche and it worked. @DJP