Honored Contributor

How farm animal sanctuaries celebrate Thanksgiving

[ Edited ]

Farm animal sanctuaries have Thanksgiving celebrations where they include the turkeys as honored guests.  And the humans eat vegan.  ETA:  You can buy tickets for a meal for one of these events.

Woodstock in New York (http://woodstocksanctuary.org/)

Farm Sanctuary in Maryland (http://www.farmsanctuary.org/events/)

Animal Place in California (http://animalplace.org/)

I'm sure there are others.

(I'm not saying everyone should be vegan or vegetarian.  Just that if this is your choice, these are interesting options to know about - and even support if you so choose.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

Re: How farm animal sanctuaries celebrate Thanksgiving

Thank You for this post-and I do think we should be vegetarians!! It's time to evolve already away from eating other living things, it is no longer necessary. I know your post is positive and I do believe in focusing on the positive-BUT... are you aware of the latest pig slaughterhouse undercover video that was front page all over Huffington Post last night and today? I wish all the people who mindlessly "love bacon" couls see what bacon really means.Humanity will advance when we stop this brutality.

Honored Contributor

I saw the HuffPo piece on pigs. Just awful.  It said they weren't even stunned before being killed.  As if that would have been better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

hmmm, i can't find any info on the animal place one? Sounds like fun!

ETA: Found it! Oh my gosh I can't believe this is in Grass Valley and I've never heard about it! Anyway, I can't do it this year but next year I am requesting our whole family goes together for my b-day. They can't deny me my birthday wish, right! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Hi @HappyDaze

If we're all still on these boards after you attend (you can also visit other times of the year), please do report back.  I had planned to visit them during the time they were still in the Vacaville area, but I content myself with donations since Grass Valley is a little far for me these days.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So, just fyi:  I've seen enough horrid videos to last a lifetime.  I don't seek out any new ones.  I have tried several times to eat as a vegetarian but it doesn't work with my physiology.  I never, however, eat pork or veal and any meat or chicken I do eat is as humanely raised as possible.  And especially  the eggs.  I have cut way back on dairy also, with one reason being due to the milk industry's practices.

We have to find our own path and do the least harm we can.  There is no one answer.    I used to think there was.

I didn't start the thread to convince people one way or another.

By the way, has anyone seen that PBS special of the fellow who found turkey eggs, and raised the youngsters?  They bonded with him until they reached their "teenage" time of life.  It's fascinating.  It's usually broadcast around this time of year.