Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you keep kittens from stairs?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 ,

I'm exceptionally fond of cardboard. I've gone to appliance stores and loaded the back of my hatchback with huge corrugated boxes, flattened, of course. Ask permission first, but they're eager to have someone take boxes.

With cardboard and duct tape I've built half-walls, small rooms, and baracades with sliding doors inside my garage when raising litters of kittens. 

My garage is 'floored' with huge cardboard boxes. They like gnawing on the corrugation when teething.

Another suggestion is using rolls of the inexpensive type of deer fencing, or snow fence (these are at garden centers).

Good luck finding a way that's effective on them and not aggravating when you want to use the stairs.

Respected Contributor

Tonsa engaging toys, and a kitten playpen.

My neighbor has loads of kitten toys plus the cutest darn soft sided mesh zip top playpen I ever saw.

Her baby became a family member at 5 weeks and is now just over 2 months....she too is ONE EXHAUSTING game of STAY A STEP AHEAD OF THE KITTY after another.

You just gotta have eyes in the back of your head I guess.

Sounds like she is a wild one - but you'll manage...you seem to REALLY LOVE HER Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

To piggyback on what @beach-mom wrote, my house had plumbing access points in a bathroom closet, below the kitchen sink, and in the basement lav.

A kitten could've fit through any one of these and been caught between walls. I covered these with white duct tape so they're still accessible but keeps small kitts out.

I had to modify my laundry chute so the cat couldn't get between ceiling and floor. There's still a spot they can get above the dropped ceiling over the workbench, but they can't get stuck in there.

Look for tiny spaces!!

Honored Contributor

We have only had *Fraidy Cats*.  They are petrified of their own shadows. 

And they also know the word "No!"  (So well, that sometimes we find ourselves spelling it to each other--so not to confuse the cats!)

But I've heard that they are terrified of tinfoil.  A neighbor puts sheets of tinfoil on the dining room chairs to keep her cat off the upholstery.  Maybe you could lay tinfoil on the floor in front of the barricade?  Just make sure you walk around it and don't slip on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm   My old cat is afraid of everything, this one is not.  Yesterday, I moved the recliner so she coudn't go from there to the end table.  She was on the arm eyeing the table now almost 3 ft. away.   I shook my finger at her and said NO.  Yeah, she didn't care. I had to put her on the floor. Up she went again.

She had toys all over the floor.  She was playing with a capped marker she had knocked of the end table.  Oy!

Valued Contributor

Sorry to tell you, it never ends.  My Chloe kitty just turned 14 months and talk about wild and crazy.  She is in to everything.  I could write a book about all of her antics.  But we love her and that is what matters the most.