Esteemed Contributor

How do you keep kittens from stairs?

I have never found a way to keep them from steps.  Even with a gate in the front they can get on them from the side.  We have a loft and both my other cats like walking on the railing up in the loft space. One tried jumping to the couch below.  Gave me a freakin heart attack.

Our new kittten is becoming h*ll on wheels.  I'm afraid she will get upstairs and fall out of the loft. We have things blocking the steps but she's gotten thru the barricade twice and was on the top step on the small part on the outside of the bannister.  

Twice today she went from the recliner to the end table and I found her sitting on the router for the computer.

I swear she is outsmarting me at every turn.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep kittens from stairs?

It sounds like she's into everything.  She sounds adorable, too.  I understand why you would be worried about the loft.

I had a kitten fall in the toilet one time.  I think I found her quickly.  This was many years ago.  Ever since then I've kept my toilet lids closed at all times.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a two story house with a loft and never had a problem with any of the kitties jumping. Our youngest is a year old and she was never a problem. Yes she ran around like crazy and still does but she never walked on the railing or fell. She does go up on the plant shelf via a 6' kitty condo but she knows how to get down. She runs up and down the stairs chasing Skitter or Hunter but she has never hurt herself. She did fall into the bathtub filled with water once. 

Esteemed Contributor

I keep the toilet lid down and the door closed. We keep the doors to the downstairs bedroom and laundry room closed.

I'm so glad she's feeling better but holy cow she never stops.  I can't do stairs so I prefer  to have her conatined to the 1st floor.

I have to take her to the vtr Thursday for her shots. DD can't take her and her huge cat carrier and my walker are a no.  So DD bought a soft sided smaller carrier, Zebra stripe, no less. Also bought her a black and white plaid colllar with a bowtie and a bell.

DD is becoming one of those pet parents.  I said enough already.  No clothes, period. lol

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I have never found a way to keep them from steps.  Even with a gate in the front they can get on them from the side.  We have a loft and both my other cats like walking on the railing up in the loft space. One tried jumping to the couch below.  Gave me a freakin heart attack.

Our new kittten is becoming h*ll on wheels.  I'm afraid she will get upstairs and fall out of the loft. We have things blocking the steps but she's gotten thru the barricade twice and was on the top step on the small part on the outside of the bannister.  

Twice today she went from the recliner to the end table and I found her sitting on the router for the computer.

I swear she is outsmarting me at every turn.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   LOL!  This reminds me of an experience when we first moved here.  There is a front deck with a wrought iron railing and at the time, it had gaps, so I paid a small fortune for the gaps to be closed with more wrought iron.  I had an old cat then, so thought this would prevent her from falling through a gap.  One day, while walking through a room, I looked to see her on top of the railing!  Nearly had a heart attack, lol, told myself if anyone bought this house, they needn't worry about their child falling through a gap, but watch that railing!

Honored Contributor

I don’t have an answer.  Bill will jump on everything.

He usually only falls when I try to grab him.

Last year he did jump up on bathroom sink and slipped and fell hard on his hip.  I’d been working on the toilet and had the lid to the tank sitting on the floor and of course he landed on it.

Luckily nothing broken...just badly bruised.  Thank goodness one of my best friends is the Vet’s nurse.  She came over for a few days and actually gave him shots for pain ( it was that bad).

Bill is a maniac.  He isn’t afraid of anything!

I love hearing about your kitten and everyone’s cats.

If Katie the cat wasn’t afraid of an ant, I’d adopt another cat.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I recently bought some "playpens" for a local rescue.

It might help to keep them contained.

The rescue said they worked great for their Foster families and were quite happy with them.

From Amazon here is the name of the item:

EliteField 2-Door Soft Pet Playpen, Exercise Pen, Multiple Sizes and Colors Available for Dogs, Cats and Other Pets

Honored Contributor

I never thought about it before. We always had cats growing up. My Mom insisted that the cats were not to go up to the second floor. She did not want the cats on the beds. So we made sure that the cats/kittens never went up to the second floor.

I used to sneak them up to my room on occasion. So that I could dress up the cats in my dolls clothing. They were SO CUTE! But other than that we never had cats on the second floor. 

Guess you have to keep reminding her.

Honored Contributor

About the only thing you can do when they're that young is watch them constantly to keep them out of trouble.

We adopted one at our previous home that "disappeared" into a crack between the kitchen cabinets the day after he came home! DH thought he would get into the walls and not be able to find his way out. DD was 4. She and I were standing in the kitchen sobbing -we had tried everything to get him out. No luck. Finally we gave up. DH was in the kitchen a few hours later and he came strolling out. Thank goodness! DH did something to that space in the cabinet so it wouldn't happen again (I can't remember what he did).

Your new little kitty sounds like she will keep you on your toes! I wouldn't worry too much since she's already been up and cats love high places. Ours have been to the top of the kitchen cabinets and somehow they get down. The only thing I'd be concerned about is one of the others cornering her up there or frightening her. But it sounds like she will be one who will take care of things herself! 

Super Contributor

Plexiglass temporarily velcroed to the stair rails? Or some of that platic rigid shelf liner done the same way?