Trusted Contributor

How do you get pills down your pups???

How do you get meds down your pups? I have been down myself, and can't get my OWN pills down!!!! Hopefully, after my procedure last week, mine will get better. I have also had my Koda, who got sticks stuck in his mouth, and had to be put to sleep several times to get them out, as he gets VIOLENT if you try to go in his mouth. Hok'ee has been very bad off, as he stopped eating and drinking and got dehydrated, nose got soooo dry, and found out he has had a very bad intestinal infection....Both have been on pills/capsules, and getting them down is toughWoman Surprised I can open Koda's capsules and mix in canned food, but Hok'ee has been on pills, and both are skiddish of peanut butter now, and oatmeal cream pies, that I tried to use to get their meds down. I have been at my wits end. They so need the meds, but especially hard when one will not even eat or drink. Sorry for the long post....

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you get pills down your pups???

@forrestwolfMy Westie was a sucker for a pill wedged into a bit of cheddar cheese.

Honored Contributor

We buy liverwurst. And wrap the liverwurst around the pill. I swear our dog smells the pills and I think the liverwurst masks at least enough of the smell of the pill. That he will eat it.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine will "ask" for his liver (wurst) at bedtime! 

He'll take anything wrapped in liverwurst!

Honored Contributor

pill pockets that you can get from petco, online, or via your vet

pill hidden in melted cheese

pill hidden in a bit of peanut butter

all three of these work for our dog. if he is resistant to any of these, then it takes two people. one to hold him and keep his mouth open  and one to get the pill down his throat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Whatever human food they would gobble without chewing.  Chicken breast, lunch meat, whatever.  First I would give a piece (or two) of treat with nothing in it.  Then, once they got thinking all they were eating was meat, I’d give the one with the pill inside.  Then, immediately afterwards give another non-pill treat.  Keep a piece of meat right in front of the dog’s nose as you’re giving the pill treat so that they’re focusing on the next treat and not paying attention to the fact they have a pill in their mouth.  I found that giving several treats rapidly gets the pill down and ensures that they don’t spit it back up because they eat something else after getting the pill.

For the dog that isn’t eating or drinking, I would ask the vet if their wasn’t an alternative type of medication.  Maybe something liquid you could just sneak in the side of his mouth.

Super Contributor

@forrestwolf I wrap the pill in a small amount of liverwurst. It never fails!

Trusted Contributor

Get some cheap hot dogs. Beef is better than chicken or turkey franks because the flavor is bigger in beef franks, but it might not matter. The idea is that they’re inexpensive and dogs love ‘em. Cut a chunk off one hot dog. Push the pill deep into the meat of the hot dog and then offer it to doggo. If necessary, use a paring knife to make a slit or pocket to make it easy to hide the pill in the hot dog chunk. Your pooch will glom onto that hunk of meat and swallow it. If the piece is real big, he’s gonna chew it more and discover that pill in the middle, so make it a nugget size so he gives the chunk not much of a bite and a quick swallow.  

If there is a problem stuffing the pill into the meat, put some butter or margarine on it to slide it in easier. Will taste even better! 

No need to cook the hot dog. It is processed meat. (He’s not needing a bun, mustard and sauerkraut either!!)  He can eat it right from the fridge or at room temp. I never knew a dog to turn down a frank. You cannot do it with raw hamburger meat, which must be cooked, so don’t substitute!  I can also tell you the dog will love a bacon wrapped pill, but that’s expensive!

Hiding the pill in a hot dog chunk also might make him thirsty, so it encourages water intake. (Dogs love cold water—add some ice cubes to the water bowl.)

Sure hope I’ve helped and you and the pups get well soon. 

Trusted Contributor

@gizmogal   Pups always have ice water going.....They just get so paranoid of anything I try to give them....But thanks...maybe a try!!  By the way, little one loves sauerkraut, when he eats!!

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to everyone on the liverwurst advise...Never heard of that..Guess I will have to see if my little grocer has it in stock and try that..Woman Happy