New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: How do you exercise your dog?

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:
What is an Australian labradoodle?

*****Google www.alaa-labradoodles.com or ridgelinelabradoodles.com

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

I have Angie a Doxie mix and I walk her about 2 miles a day also we have a big yard where she does "The Angie 500"--racing round and round. I also have a little 10lb. Brussels Griffon,Daisy.  I cannot walk her, she barks and spins at anything that moves.  But she joins Ang in the yard and they have a lot of fun and plenty of exercise.  They are very happy girls!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Occasional Contributor

I have seen information as well on how most dogs need at least a good hour of exercise a day, preferably running!  The biggest problem most people have with this is the tremendous pressure these days to keep dogs on leashes.  People are getting really unreasonable when it comes to dogs.  

My dogs get a walk daily, and if they happen to get to be off leash they will run otherwise they have to mosey on the leash, for about 20 minutes unless they go to a beach somewhere where they can run more.  Then they have a big fenced yard that they can run around in several times a day.  Some days they do more than on others. 

I think that in this day and age people really need to just do what they can and try not to worry about what they can't do.  Kind of like with our own exercise!  Everybody probably needs more than they get.

That way dogs don't end up at shelters where they get hardly any exercise because owners think they can't do enough for them.  Or given away.  We are their family and we do what we can for for them whether or not it is the perfect recommended daily amount of exercise.

Esteemed Contributor

@qfun wrote:

I have seen information as well on how most dogs need at least a good hour of exercise a day, preferably running!  The biggest problem most people have with this is the tremendous pressure these days to keep dogs on leashes.  People are getting really unreasonable when it comes to dogs.  

My dogs get a walk daily, and if they happen to get to be off leash they will run otherwise they have to mosey on the leash, for about 20 minutes unless they go to a beach somewhere where they can run more.  Then they have a big fenced yard that they can run around in several times a day.  Some days they do more than on others. 

I think that in this day and age people really need to just do what they can and try not to worry about what they can't do.  Kind of like with our own exercise!  Everybody probably needs more than they get.

That way dogs don't end up at shelters where they get hardly any exercise because owners think they can't do enough for them.  Or given away.  We are their family and we do what we can for for them whether or not it is the perfect recommended daily amount of exercise.

It can be difficult to get enough exercise for your dogs.  There are things that can be done indoors or even on a long leash.  Stairs can be great for cardio, swimming is another.  They also have fitness equipment for dogs (not just treadmills).  There has also been talk of a person/dog gym. That would be fun during the winter. 

It does take effort to keep them fit.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Our dog gets walked every morning (and sometimes at night).  The walk lasts about 20 - 40 minutes depending on her.  Our dog is 17 now so some days she doesn't want to walk as far.  She doesn't walk as fast as she used to either, but she has been walked just about every day since we got her when she was 2 years old from our local humane society.  I firmly believe daily walking has prolonged her quality of life.  It bothers me when I see dogs that appear to never be walked or played with.  I don't understand why people get dogs if they don't want to interact with them on some level (other than just feeding them.)