Esteemed Contributor

How do you exercise your dog?

I have recently read several articles concenrning the amount of exercise dogs really need compared to what they are actually getting.  It discussed how they need to get thier heart rates up, engage all the muscles etc.  Very much like what doctors recommend for people.   Looking around various neighborhoods I see dogs that may never leave their yard or maybe an occasional walk around the block.  What do all of you do to really exercise our dogs on a daily basis.?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Re: How do you exercise your dog?

[ Edited ]

I take mine on about a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood every day.  I feel a little guilty about this, but that's all I do.  She does actually run in the back yard though.  She's a French Bulldog, and because of her smushed in face she can't be out in the hot sun for long so I take her on her walk early in the morning.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Esteemed Contributor

We walk out dogs 2-3 times a day for about a mile each time if the weather cooperates.

Honored Contributor

My son has a Frenchie, too, and she gets overheated very easily.

My dog goes for a long ramble on the trails near my house every other day. He's very pokey as we walk away from the house and like a rocket on the way back.
Honored Contributor

Walks when weather permits, but also playing fetch in the yard.  On the first trip outside, after his morning feeding, my dog has some built up energy to burn off.  He's quite funny as he bursts into a run and goes like a madman in a giant circle around our property and ends up at the back door when he's done.  Sometimes when we're out in the afternoon, the next door neighbor dog comes over and they run around and play.  That dog is a little sneak though.  If I've been playing fetch with our boy, she'll run over and steal his toy and then run it back to her yard.  We've had to ask the homeowners to go find it for us a couple of times...LOL  DH is more agile than me so he likes to chase our dog around the yard or get the dog to chase him.

Respected Contributor

I have a teacup pom that likes to spend most of the day under the sofa.  I have to pick her up and carry her outside or else she won't willingly go most of the time.  So I take her for a 30 minutes walk around the neighborhood when it cools off at night.  In two months I've lost 10 lbs and I have to give her the credit.

Esteemed Contributor

My Goldendoodle is very social, so 3 or 4 days a week I take him to doggie daycare which is also where I board him when I'm out of town, sort of a second home for him. It's only $10.00 for a day of daycare, opens at 7:00 am, closes at 9:00 pm. They play games all day, swim, and at noon all the dogs get nap time to classical music. What a hoot! He is exhausted when I pick him up and literally falls asleep on my lap like a dead dog when we get home. On the off days we walk three or four miles, weather permitting.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

Chloe gets two short walks a day. She gets played with inside and outside a few times a day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They get walks every day on the leash so I can keep them moving but then they then also free play outside at least once a day from a half hour to an hour (or more during nicer weather). During bad weather, we play inside and do shorter walks but more of them.

I read an article about how there are about three types of walks and dogs need all three kinds to not only keep their body and heart's healthy but also keep their minds alert and active. It was really good and something I'd never thought about. Kind of like doctors telling us to keep our minds active every day.

ETA: I also forgot to add that now that my dogs are older, they do Physical therapy exercises to help keep their hind ends stronger because dogs tend to get weak in the back end as they age. It has made a big difference in the tone of their hind legs and have regained alot of their muscle tone.

Respected Contributor

I have a Chihuahua mix.  In fact...he looks a lot like yours NickNack!  Heart

We walk 3x a day for about 20 minutes each time.  He also likes to play fetch in the dog park.