Trusted Contributor

How do I deal with having to put a cat down?

because of not enough money to pay for bills/vet?  I'm not at that point now, but will be.  I've never had a pet before so have never had to do this. Tigger is my LIFE.   The thought of having to do this, ESPECIALLY because of no money makes me sick to my heart and stomach.    I do not handle things like this well.   Just wanting to get people's opinions.

Respected Contributor

Re: How do I deal with having to put a cat down?

sometimes you can find low cost vet assistance through local rescue group you have my complete sympathy for this.  I hope you can get some help through one of these groups.

Honored Contributor

Talk to your vet.

Valued Contributor

Please talk with every vet you can speak with, do not give up on help, ask  that vet for a name or agency where you can go if they are unable to assist..  There is a low-cost vet or clinic in your area and they may be .difficult to find.  Persistence is the key.  Many churches in my area have funds set aside for your issue.  Prayers.  

Esteemed Contributor

I understand -- don't give up! When I was younger and broke, I offered to do a little work at the vet's to reduce my bill.  Here are some options:

1)  Ask your vet for installment payments or sliding scale.

2) If your vet doesn't do this, ask for recommendation to one who does.

3)  Type in Google "veterinary assistance by state" and results will pop up for organizations in your state that will help -- even in an emergency -- with vet bills.

4) go to "localvets.com" and type in your zip code to find vets who provide low-cost care or sliding payment plans.

5) Go to the Humane Society's site, which is humanesociety.org., and there are excellent tips and referrals there.

Honored Contributor

Look at CareCredit.  You can apply on line.

Talk to your vet to see if spending money will extend your cat’s life only or if it will give him quality of life as well.

Sometimes it is a kindness to not prolong life.  There is no need to feel guilty.  We as humans can only do so much for our pet family members.

Honored Contributor

Please talk to your vet or any local NO KILL shelters. I know from a vet tech friend that no good vet will euthanize a pet for the owner's financial problems, sorry.

I'm sure this is hard for you. Please look into the other suggestions given. Let us know what happens. There ARE resources available, start with your vet, local Petco or Petsmart, or shelters for advice/assistance.

Esteemed Contributor

Another thought:  A GoFundMe page if it's something that hasn't happened yet.

Also:  if you're getting medications at your vet, research lower prices at "human" pharmacies like WalMart or Target.  You can save a boatload.

Respected Contributor

Very sorry that you even have to consider that choice.  First tell us a little about your cat--how old, what medical problems and expenses you are encountering.  Can you not afford routine what I call "well baby" expenses, or, is there a serious condition that will likely be beyond your ability to pay?  Do not euthanize your cat because you can't afford him.  In fact my vet will not euthanize an animal just because an owner asks them to. Give him up to a local rescue or no kill shelter.  The only reasons to euthanize an animal are that their quality of life is zip because of medical issues or they have rabies or sometimes because they have become violently aggressive and cannot be retrained.  

Honored Contributor

Can you find another home for tiger...I feel badly that you can’t afford your pet but it would be unfair to put the healthy pet down?I  think your heart would be a little less sad if the cat didn’t have to be euthanized.

I wish that I was nearby and could pay for your cat food I am sure this is a very difficult time.