Honored Contributor

Re: How cold is too cold to walk a dog?

Yes temps and the length of a dog's fur helps determine how cold is too cold. The age of the dog is very important. Sadie my 12 yr. old beagle doesn't have as much body fat to keep her warm as her "sister beagle" 3 yr. old Molly. Molly's fine and can walk an hour in 30 degrees, but after 15 minutes my Sadie is shivering! 

Valued Contributor

Image result for dog on facebook  . i am pooping in the house today

Honored Contributor

The only good thing that's cold and wet is a dog's nose!!! 🐾

Honored Contributor

When it is in the 30's or lower my dogs get their winter coats on -waterproof on the outside, warm and soft on the inside- they are actually pony coats. We also use Musher's secret on their paw pads which helps protect them from the salt, cold, and hot surfaces during summer. Best stuff ever to protect their paw pads. I tried several  brands of boots but they just don't fit them well nor do they stay on well. We always end up losing at least one in the snow.

My dogs LOVE the cold, especially the snow, but I have to make sure they don't stay out too long at a time because if it was up to them, they'd be playing all day in the darn snow, regardless of how cold their paws or noses or ears get! So short jaunts a few times a day is much better than one long time.

Honored Contributor

About 30-35 years ago my dad brought home a German Shepeherd puppy on Christmas day. It was one of the coldest winters on record locally and I was the designated dog walker. The pup loved the cold and would stay out in it for a half hour or more at a time. No sooner would we get in then he'd be begging to go back out. I nearly froze to death that wineter, but the pup just loved it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!