Honored Contributor

Re: How can I get my dog to want to eat

[ Edited ]

@geegerbeeI would try the finger feeding of baby food that sockmonkey suggested then get a second opinion from another vet.  If you have been going to the same vet for nearly 40 years maybe she does not know that there could be better choices now as she hasn't kept updated on newer treatments.  You could also use a food processer to  make your own baby food and then add some pedialite to it or just syringe pedialite in in your dog's mouth but if you can get enough baby food in there will be adequate fluids.

Esteemed Contributor

Mind will lick baby food chicken from a spoon.  Liverwurst always works!  Are you giving him anything for pain?

Esteemed Contributor

I have owned dogs my entire life and had a dog with a cyst removed in the area you speak of.  You must get to another vet asap.  Removing a tail is not normal.  Please get another vet's input.  I'm horrified. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For what it is worth @geegerbee  This is what I did for a dog that had cancer due to a large tumor on his leg that was ozzing and open.... and would not eat and was sure to die.

I gave the dog manuka honey and Royal jelly.

https://draxe.com/manuka-honey-benefits-uses/

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/animal-product/royal-jelly.html

I  put  a mixture of these  on his paw.. several times a day and. he would lick it off... I also would put it on his lips so he automatically licked it off and ate it. This gave him calories and helped to give him sugars to feed his brain.

I also put this combination on the two honeys on his tumor and wrapped it daily with fresh gauze.  You could apply it to where the infection is. a bit messy, but easy to clean up.

After a while my dog started eating on his own.... and the tumor healed over( really amazing!!) and he started gaining weight and felt really good again!  He had like a remission of sorts!  This lasted many months until he did eventually go down hill and pass... but the last many months of his life were good! 

I saw a huge jar of Manuka honey at costco for about  $50.   That is a real good buy on Manuka honey...  Also check amazon( maybe prime if you have it so you can get it fast) the royal jelly can be found online in a honey base or you can buy it more concentrated.  What the two  honeys do is kill infection... and it is rich  in all kinds  of vitamins and sugars that will nourish your dog and his brain while he is not eating on his own. like giving glucose.

It is worth trying!

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee

By any chance does your dog have a CONE?

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee  You also should try Nutrical which is a high calorie nutritional supplement in a tube and you can just squeeze it in the mouth or put it on your finger.  It's inexpensive and can be found at pet stores and Amazon carries it also.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee

Pick up Laughing Cow and put pills in wedges.  Also, sounds weird, but I have met a furbaby who didn't love polish loaf sandwich meat.  You can also wrap the meds in that. Also, another food they can't resist is ChefBoyardee ravioli - warm it up and put the meds in this.  I believe these foods will get something into her tummy along with the meds.

******e or another organic yogurt - with honey - is also good.  Again, they all love yogurt.  And, organic rice - brown, basmati - will be good as she's healing.  A little organic, fat free milk with that is good also.

Not my business, so excuse me if offending, I'm with the others - get a second opinion!  If you live near a teaching hospital even better - the vets are up-to-date with meds/procedures.  Pardon, if I've offended.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions. She is between 10 and 12 yrs old.  She is supposed to take 1 carprofin for pain 2x a day. I think we sqeezed 1 in this morning with the squishy science diet in small cans that we bought from the vet.. Hard to tell how much actually gets in, when we put it in the side of her mouth and half comes back out. Can't tell if the pulverized pill was in the part that went in or the part that came out. She gave us proactiv to soothe her tummy, but said the most important one to get in was the carprofin, so the proactiv hasn't gone in yet. Can't put food in cheese or anything even like a piece of hot dog. Won't take any solid food. The honey and chicken baby food sounds good--will try that tomorrow.

I already spent $1200 and the surgery is done, so what would another vet do? Stitches don't come out for another week and the infection is finally gone.  I will ask about appetite shots tomorrow also. Thanks again.

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee

I totally understand that the $$$ you have spent is not pocket change. I've had cats with $700, $500, $1100, and other excess $$ amounts, so I really do understand. However, if there was something, anything, another vet could do or suggest, if it helped your dog, it'd be worth it. I've made a judgement mistake before, and I'd rather be on the wrong, then make regrets later. I'll explain. My cat Peaches had a high fever, with nothing else seemingly wrong on Christmas eve several years ago. My reg. Vets office was closed, so I called another vet in town and they took her as an emergency. They tested her blood, gave her some meds, and sent her home. All Christmas I fretted and worried because she was not getting better, disgusted, i took her to my normal vet the day after Christmas, complaining about the other vet, but my vet looked at what the other office did, and said "I would have done everything the same." Peaches just didn't respond well to the one fever med that was prescribed. Once on another med, she was fine. I was wrong about the first diagnosis/treatment and sought out another opinion. Unnecessary, but, I'm okay with making a personal mistake if it means my pets are well cared for.

If you can, maybe give another vet a call, give them a run down on what you've gone through and see what they advise. Getting your dog well is your number one priority right now, and if it was me, I'd go to any lengths to see that she does receive every bit of help that she needs.

Sorry for the length, you are in my prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions. She is between 10 and 12 yrs old.  She is supposed to take 1 carprofin for pain 2x a day. I think we sqeezed 1 in this morning with the squishy science diet in small cans that we bought from the vet.. Hard to tell how much actually gets in, when we put it in the side of her mouth and half comes back out. Can't tell if the pulverized pill was in the part that went in or the part that came out. She gave us proactiv to soothe her tummy, but said the most important one to get in was the carprofin, so the proactiv hasn't gone in yet. Can't put food in cheese or anything even like a piece of hot dog. Won't take any solid food. The honey and chicken baby food sounds good--will try that tomorrow.

I already spent $1200 and the surgery is done, so what would another vet do? Stitches don't come out for another week and the infection is finally gone.  I will ask about appetite shots tomorrow also. Thanks again.

How is your dog? I have been wondering if you got him to eat. Also what breed is your dog. Praying for your dog.