Honored Contributor

Re: How To Teach A Kitten His Name

[ Edited ]

Image result for cat selective hearing

Valued Contributor

I believe a cat can tell us what to call him/her according to the personality and traits.  Play with a few names and ask yourself if it is worthy.  You both will be happy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@A60_Chevy wrote:

I believe a cat can tell us what to call him/her according to the personality and traits.  Play with a few names and ask yourself if it is worthy.  You both will be happy.

@A60_Chevy  I've had Henry for a month.  It's way too late to start trying different names out on him.  It would be very confusing for him.  He'll learn his name and probably knows it already.  I'm sure he's starting to learn it at least.  I say it all the time.  I definitely think Henry is a worthy name for my kitten.  He looks like a Henry to me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@A60_Chevy wrote:

@A60_Chevy  I've had Henry for a month.  It's way too late to start trying different names out on him.  It would be very confusing for him.  He'll learn his name and probably knows it already.  I'm sure he's starting to learn it at least.  I say it all the time.  I definitely think Henry is a worthy name for my kitten.  He looks like a Henry to me.

That kit is the epitome of everything "Henry." He exudes feline gravitas. He may just be expecting you to add the honorific when you call him for breakfast. Cat Wink

Frequent Contributor

I adopted a 5 year old rescue cat whose name was Eva.  I was told that was her original name.  Well for about 3 months of her not coming to her name nomatter what I did, I sat doen with her. looled her in the eyes and asked her what is your name?  The name Allie came into my head and I started calling her by that name.  Low and behold she came anytime I called her Allie.  My husband siad he would not believe what happened unless he saw it with his own eyes.

One thing I did learn is to change the name a little when calling vs correcting them.  I call Allie by saying Allie, Allie.  When correcting her I just use the name Allie.  Boy does she know the difference.  Got that tip from "My Cat from Hell"

Respected Contributor

@photodreamr  I get it!  Like in the book "Tom Sawyer."  When Becky says his name is Thomas He responds  " Thomas is the name they lick me by,  I'm Tom when I'm good."

Honored Contributor

@photodreamr wrote:

I adopted a 5 year old rescue cat whose name was Eva.  I was told that was her original name.  Well for about 3 months of her not coming to her name nomatter what I did, I sat doen with her. looled her in the eyes and asked her what is your name?  The name Allie came into my head and I started calling her by that name.  Low and behold she came anytime I called her Allie.  My husband siad he would not believe what happened unless he saw it with his own eyes.

One thing I did learn is to change the name a little when calling vs correcting them.  I call Allie by saying Allie, Allie.  When correcting her I just use the name Allie.  Boy does she know the difference.  Got that tip from "My Cat from Hell"

@photodreamr  I understand the reason you changed your cat's name to Allie.  Henry is only about 16 weeks old, though, and this is the only name he's ever known.  There's no way I'm going to change it after having him for a month.  He would be very confused.  I'm sure he's learning his name.  He looks like a Henry to me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

This cat is Henry. Not only did NickNack name him Henry, but he IS Henry. He is so Henry that all other cats named Henry (except Henri of the epic ennui, of course) should immediately change their names.

He'll respond when he feels like it. I'd expect nothing less from a true Henry.

Honored Contributor

I have seven, some of which we rescued as a litter, they all just learned their name without any special work from me. Even when there was more than one kitten in the group. I don't do anything special. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

Just keep talking to him and using his name.  He'll catch on!  

I'm another who has names and nicknames for my furry children.  They know all the things I call them, and the others in the house.  My now old boy, Tyler, will be 13 in 6 weeks.  When he was a pup, I would ask his older brother "Where is the baby?"  Jake would tear through the house to find Tyler, and then bark to let me know where he was.  (Jake was ridiculously smart, and understood every thing I said.  He's been gone nearly 3 years.  I miss him terribly!)

Enjoy your kitten!!!!

Yes, my boys are Mr "their name" and the girls are "Miss" her name plus most of them have multiple nicknames each. Puccini aka Poochie aka Mr Pooch aka Pooches ect. They know all their nickname too LOL

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval