Honored Contributor

Re: How To Keep A Kitten Away From Places You Don't Want Them To Go

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I think it's the same as when you have a baby .... you need to baby-proof your home.   Same with kitties, until you can get them settled in and know their behavior .....  and what needs protection.  

We have a neighbor cat that comes over now and then to have a play date.  This cat, Meowmers, is a little hellion .... he knocks things over and we have to be careful when he's over.  OTOH, Bogey doesn't knock things over .... he politely tip toes around them.   I don't know who taught him manners, but I'm sure glad someone did!  lol

Exactly. I said the same thing when I read the OP. Cat prrofing is a must. If you don't want them to have access to it, then put it out of their reach. It's that simple. You really think that they aren't on the counter, mantle or anywhere else the second your back is turned? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

My home is styled around my 7 furry children.

Good luck.

Mine too and I also have 7 cats. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I think it's the same as when you have a baby .... you need to baby-proof your home.   Same with kitties, until you can get them settled in and know their behavior .....  and what needs protection.  

We have a neighbor cat that comes over now and then to have a play date.  This cat, Meowmers, is a little hellion .... he knocks things over and we have to be careful when he's over.  OTOH, Bogey doesn't knock things over .... he politely tip toes around them.   I don't know who taught him manners, but I'm sure glad someone did!  lol

Exactly. I said the same thing when I read the OP. Cat prrofing is a must. If you don't want them to have access to it, then put it out of their reach. It's that simple. You really think that they aren't on the counter, mantle or anywhere else the second your back is turned? 

@jaxs mom @Tinkrbl44  Actually I did kitten proof my house before I brought him home.  I covered cords with cord covers  and tied other cords to table legs.  I moved some breakable things from tables.  I closed the toilet lids and put notes on the counters for me to keep them closed.  I had a kitten fall in one time and learned that lesson.  Fortunately I found her quickly and got her out.

The problem is I don't have places to move things to because I have such a small house.  I need to keep him off of two bedside tables, my desk and my end table in the living room.  The table in front of the living room window is his.  I have moved things so that he can sit and look out the window.

I think I found a solution with putting aluminum foil on the tables I don't want him to go on.  That seems to be working.  I'll keep the aluminum foil on the tables as long as is necessary.  This house needs to work for all of us, myself included.  He can't jump on the counter yet, and I hope he'll never be able to jump on the mantle.  I have some very special Staffordshire dogs on the mantel that were my mother's.  I have absolutely no place else to put them but will have to remove them if he's ever able to get up there. Cat Happy

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Use the museum gel to keep things from getting knocked over on the mantle. And know that cats, even being discouraged, will go where they want when you're not around.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

Boy, so glad that the foil is a deterrent .... and it's cheap, no harmful chemicals AND it's working 24/7 .... even when Mommy's at work, lol.

I don't know where you live, but in Southern CA we have to be mindful of what can fall over in case of an earthquake ... or even a tremor.   Google "earthquake wax" and "museum putty" used for holding things in place .....  to familiarize yourself with the features, and how strong the good stuff is.    

Maybe your hardware store has similar versions of this putty to use with the items on your mantle ....  or, perhaps,  buy a little of the real earthquake wax.    Just a suggestion.    

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the tip on the museum wax @Sushismom and @Tinkrbl44!   I just put some in my cart at Amazon and will order this.  I think someone else suggested this earlier.  I don't know that I would trust it necessarily for the Staffordshire dogs on my mantel.  They are pretty large.  I'll take a picture and post it.  I just hope he never jumps up there.  I honestly don't remember my other cats ever jumping up on the mantel.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sushismom @Tinkrbl44  These are the Staffordshire dogs on my mantel.  Do you think the museum wax would work for them?  Would I have to take the one dog off the books and just have it on the mantel for it to work?  Could I attach the books to the mantel with the museum wax and then attach the dog to the books with the wax, or would it be safer to just attach the dogs to the mantel?

IMG_0380.JPG

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Kitties are averse to the feeling and/or sound of certain things, so until the behavior stops just tape aluminum foil to the borders and edges of the surfaces he's attracted to.

Or, if the tin foil doesn't discourage him, apply double-sided tape there instead.

An alternate:  

Get some cheap vinyl or plastic placemats and cover one side of them with the double-sided tape.

It might take a little while and may be kind of a pain, but they're both know to work well and are recommended by the ASPCA and HSUS.

Image result for cat on counter greeting card

LOL

@feline groovy  I knew someone else recommended the aluminum foil, too.  I tried it, and it's working!  Thank you for the suggestion.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've used mine on vases and some other glass items. They hold quite well. Yes, you'll need to take the one off the books or try to see if it works on both the book and the dog.

ETA: Be aware, though, that on material it will leave a stain.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

I've used mine on vases and some other glass items. They hold quite well. Yes, you'll need to take the one off the books or try to see if it works on both the book and the dog. 

Thanks @Sushismom.  I'm going to wait to use it on the dogs until he can at least jump on the counter.  I would like to think he will never be able to jump on the mantel since my other cats didn't do that.  Time will tell.

-Henry David Thoreau