Occasional Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip Dog Groomer?

Thank you! I’m so sorry for your loss too. They are so much a part of our lives. And, Corby was such a joy, not only for me but, for all those that have known him throughout the years. From all the children that we helped mentor to the adults he brought smiles and laughter to while doing his array of tricks!

As for staying while Maui is groomed. I don’t know really how to answer that because it would be a personal preference. Sometimes our fur babies are better off not seeing you while things are going on. If you could observe the grooming while not being seen by her, I think that might be better. You might want to discuss this with the groomer before you take Maui in for her appointment.

When Corby got groomed, he had the first appointment of the day, always on a Friday. The groomer was to work on him without interruption from other dogs. Sometimes groomers work on a couple dogs at the same time. He was not ever to be caged and always just wandered the room, when finished, until I got there to pick him up. They usually gave me a call about 15 minutes before he was finished to give me adequate drive time. Sometimes they would forget to call me ahead of time but, that was never an issue for Corby as he was so sociable and easy going. But, the minute he knew I was there, he wanted to be with me!

Occasional Contributor

He may not be able to verbal,y tell you but, his actions tell a lot and you need to know how to read your dog.

Honored Contributor

The last time I had a dog groomed he was a real mess, and I intended to leave a  nice tip.  I paid by CC and there was no place on the slip for a tip.  I asked where to add the tip and was told there was no place, so no tip.  I now have 2 dogs that don't need grooming. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

No, I do not stay with them.  It seems to give them hope I will pick them up & and take them away rather than be groomed.  I leave her in charge of them and she does not feel pressured that I am watching her every move and/or feeling like I am hurrying her.  I care more that the dogs are happy and not stressed than how they look.  My goal is to get them clean, shorten their fur and have the "rear-end" (it won't let me say the word) glands drained - not so much for the oooooohs & ahhhhhhs of others.  Fortunately she always makes them look great.  I usually have her call me 30 minutes before they will be done.  That way if I am in the middle of something I have time to finish and still get there without them having to wait.  It runs about 1 1/2 - 2 hours per dog (usually 1 1/2) - sometimes a little less. 

I take their carrier with a blanket in it and leave it so they hang out in there - it gives them a sense of home and I hope a knowing that I will be back for them.  Hope that helps. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl :  I’m not sure how helpful I can be because I have used the same groomer for all of my nine year old Westie’s life.  It didn’t take long to notice that in the beginning the more gratuity the shorter his grooming time.  We have a “standing” appointment every six weeks at 9:00 a.m. and she’s usually done by 10:30 a.m. and he doesn’t go in a kennel.  There is no doubt in my mind that she cares for my little man. Can’t put a price tag on that!

p.s. at Christmas I don’t mess with gifts or gift cards I put cash in a handwritten sentimental card and that’s that.  I love our relationship.

Honored Contributor

15-20%  Just like you would tip anyone else.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your replies.  I will be making an appointment for Maui next week and hope that all goes well.  I just remember when I took Darcy for her first bath after getting her.  For some reason, I returned and saw them pulling her on one of those leads that are used by dog catchers.  Darcy was terrified and I grabbed her and got her out of there asap.  Never again for her.  I did all of her bathing.

For Maui, since she needs real grooming, I am taking her to a highly-respected and well reviewed place.  

Thanks again, everyone!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I recently had to get a new groomer. Our Springer Spaniel, Zeke, has been going to the same groomer for 10 1/2 years. Our groomer retired. I got a couple opinions from other people and ended up taking him to the groomer my daughter uses. I was really nervous, as Zeke loved the previous groomer. I never stay because I think the dog does better when Mom isn't there. They did a wonderful job and charged me the same as the old groomer, $45. I tipped $10. They said Zeke was a really good boy. I will definitely go back.

Frequent Contributor

The dog grooming is $55 and I always give her $10 in cash for a tip.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am trying a mobile groomer as I type this.  She is also the owner.  In my old state I tipped 15-20 on a 50 buck tab.  This lady told me 45-55.  So I guess I will decide after I see him!

It ended up being 60 and I gave her 15.