Frequent Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip Dog Groomer?

I have two himalayan cats.  They regularly go to the groomers, and I never tip less than 20% of their bill.  It's usually more like 30% because they have a lot of fur to be brushed after their baths.  It's worth it to me because they come home looking great and are never stressed.

Honored Contributor

Molly, my beagle, doesn’t require “grooming” per se...no fancy cutting, no fur trimming at all. She gets a bath, ears cleaned, maybe teeth brushed if we haven’t just done it  and nails clipped. There are many groomers and she rarely gets the same one often. I asked the women next to me who was picking up her short haired pal. She said she doesn’t tip because it’s a quickie deal for her dog, too. Her last dog was a standard poodle...lots of work...true grooming. She tipped her for that service. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maui went to the groomer yesterday and looks adorable.  I appreciate all of your responses regarding tipping the groomer, but I bet none of you have encountered this.

When I put in my debit card, the tipping chart came up.  15 percent for good, 18 percent for very good, 20 percent for wonderful, 25 percent for excellent, and 30 percent for WOW!  Took me by surprise!  I chose the 18 percent, but I have to say that this really puts pressure on the client that I feel is unnecessary.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!