Trusted Contributor

Re: How Much Should A Kitten Sleep?

Your kitten is precious.  Love his picture.

Honored Contributor

Henry just jumped up in the chair Frankie was in. I saw it getting ready to happen and videotaped it. He didn't sit with her, but he sniffed her. She didn't know what to think since she didn't initiate the contact and eventually jumped down. I got it all on videotape. I think that's a start. I brought him home two weeks ago yesterday.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cute baby kitty! Our kitten slept a lot & we thought part was that the Humane Society spayed too early at three months. It's supposed to be a myth it stunts their growth, but our cat is tiny. Our own vet thought it was too early, too. Anyway, our baby cat slept a lot at first.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad you took him out of his room. And Sir Henry is so loveable. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:
Henry has a cat window seat in his room that has a foam pad and a Sherpa cover. There's a bird feeder right outside the window. I set this up before I got him. There are three beds in there. One is his. One is Frankie's and was already in there, and one is the bottom of his carrier. It has a furry lining like a bed in it. I've never seen him in any of the beds. He's always in the chair when I open the door I'm the morning.

He has lots of toys in the room and goes in frequently to play with them. There is a permanent metal gate on the door that I put up years ago so I could put the dogs up if they were bothering handymen or something. He goes between the rungs and Frankie can't get in. His room is his safe place. He just doesn't like for me to close the door during the day which I won't do anymore. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

@NickNack

Well, it's pretty obvious why your little cutie can't sleep ... he lives in a PALACE  and can't get over his great luck!   lol  

It sounds like he's acclimating to his new palace, and seems to have gained a little weight.   I've read that kittens sleep so much because that's when their bodies release a growth hormone.   If his sleep pattern still worries you, call your Vet, but I think he is still settling in and doesn't seem in any kind of distress.    

Not every kitten comes home to live in a Forever Palace.   Heart

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 @Nicknack  I wonder if Henry has any idea how lucky he is?  I've read that shelters all over the US and Canada are over-whelmed by the supply of kittens this year. I suppose a warmer climate could effect animal numbers too.   More mating activity perhaps?  Yep Henry lucked into Disneyland for kitties. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  @Tinkrbl44  Henry does seem very happy and content.  He runs around all over the house playing with his toys.  He and Frankie check each other out frequently.  I've gotten some good videos of them doing that.  I wish I could post them here.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Kachina624  @Tinkrbl44  Henry does seem very happy and content.  He runs around all over the house playing with his toys.  He and Frankie check each other out frequently.  I've gotten some good videos of them doing that.  I wish I could post them here.

@NickNack

It's such a relief when you see them settling in.  

The only question that comes to mind  .... is the baby gate adjustable?  At some point, Henry is going to get bigger and may not squeeze through the spaces.  

Of course, by then his jumping skills will have improved and he might be able to jump over it ... or won't need it.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@NickNack

The only question that comes to mind  .... is the baby gate adjustable?  At some point, Henry is going to get bigger and may not squeeze through the spaces.  

Of course, by then his jumping skills will have improved and he might be able to jump over it ... or won't need it.   

@Tinkrbl44  The baby gate is not adjustable.  I was thinking that if he still needs it I could buy one that has the cat door at the bottom  of it and have that installed instead.  I think I've seen those, but I may be wrong.  Hopefully, soon he just won't need it at all.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@NickNack

@Tinkrbl44  The baby gate is not adjustable.  I was thinking that if he still needs it I could buy one that has the cat door at the bottom  of it and have that installed instead.  I think I've seen those, but I may be wrong.  Hopefully, soon he just won't need it at all.

@Nicknack  I had baby gates with the little door at the bottom.  One of my full grown collies went through it.  She broke it but I still don't know how she did it.  I bet Frankie could squeeze through it.  I doubt you'll need the gate by then though. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment