Honored Contributor

How Much Should A Kitten Sleep?

[ Edited ]

I've read several places that kittens sleep about 18 hours a day.  Henry doesn't do this.  He will cat nap on my lap during the day but that's all.  I end up putting him in his room for a couple of hours in the afternoon to let him sleep.  Right now he's meowing to get out, and he's only been in there about fifteen minutes.  I don't want him to think I'm punishing him by leaving him in there.  Does it matter if he doesn't get a lot of sleep during the day?  I've tried Googling this but am still not sure what I should do.  

He does sleep all night long in his room.  He doesn't start meowing usually until he hears me get up.  I let him out right away.  He's sleeping in his room still because I don't think he and Frankie are ready to sleep with each other yet.  He goes to his room several times a day on his own to play, so he is happy there.

Henry today.  This was actually after I'd cleaned his eyes.  I think I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I'll never be able to get them really clean and just do what I can to keep them from being gunky.  My 29-year old niece came over yesterday to meet him and just loved him.

IMG_0468.JPG

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Should A Kitten Sleep?

@NickNack - Kittens sleep A LOT! They will "cat nap" whenever they want to, and they will run around like crazy and collapse wherever they want. Sometimes they will sleep on a hard floor, and sometimes they will search out their bed or something softer. Don't worry about when he sleeps - day or night. He will have patterns that change as he grows up. Our kitties' sleep patterns are all over the place. One of ours is completely nocturnal, one goes up the stairs to bed while the rest of us are still downstairs and sleeps through the night, and one is in the middle. They are so much FUN! If I were you, I would not confine Henry to a room for a specific amount of time, unless you are going to be gone and worried about his safety. And you are right, he might resent you eventually and look at it as a punishment. They are much happier when they are free to roam! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He's an only kitten so he's going to need more attention from you than a kitten that isn't alone. As long as he's eating, playing and eliminating normally and has no symptoms of being sick then I wouldn't worry about how much sleep he gets. He'll sleep when he needs to. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thank you @jaxs mom and @beach-mom.  I'll go let him out of his room now!  I'll quit worrying about it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

He's been asleep on my lap since I let him out of his room. He's not mad at me and I won't put him up again unless I'm going out or we're going to bed. I'm having to use my phone to post since he's on my lap. 😺

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Henry is just the most delicious little animal ever. It sounds like he's self-regulating with his sleep, and it's nice that he's sleeping at night. Nothing like being awakened by jingle balls, rustling paper, and frenetic chase-the-apparition sessions.

I've had and have cats with black eyeliner, but have never seen a cat with brown-rimmed eyes, like your Henry. And that little grey chin--it's perfect. He's such a treat. It will be great fun to watch him grow up and see him work things out with Frankie.

Respected Contributor

Henry is a beautiful, healthy looking kitten.  Do not worry about how much he sleeps.  When he needs to sleep, he will.  I would not shut him in a room either.  Lonely is not good.  If you leave him in there when you are not home or to sleep at night, I'm sure you have his bed and toys in there too.  During the day, leave the door open with his bed in there and he may go in to sleep and think of it as "his place" and won't feel bad when you are gone and he is shut in there.  He will know you are not home and probably get in his bed and sleep while you are gone.  Do you have a window in this room with a sill wide enough for him to sit on and look out?  My DH built a wide sill for our picture window for my cat.  If you do not have a wide sill, put something in front of the window where he can sit and look out when he is in there.  He will like his room.

Trusted Contributor

What a cutie he is.  I will echo others who posted before me: do not obsess. Your boy will sleep when he needs to sleep, but there is no magic number of hours. My furry boy--now 8 years old--did not seem to sleep much when he was young. Now, he lounges around and sleeps more--when he is not checking out scenes from the window or playing with toys-- and often paces until I go upstairs to bed. He hates to go to bed before me.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Henry has a cat window seat in his room that has a foam pad and a Sherpa cover. There's a bird feeder right outside the window. I set this up before I got him. There are three beds in there. One is his. One is Frankie's and was already in there, and one is the bottom of his carrier. It has a furry lining like a bed in it. I've never seen him in any of the beds. He's always in the chair when I open the door I'm the morning.

He has lots of toys in the room and goes in frequently to play with them. There is a permanent metal gate on the door that I put up years ago so I could put the dogs up if they were bothering handymen or something. He goes between the rungs and Frankie can't get in. His room is his safe place. He just doesn't like for me to close the door during the day which I won't do anymore. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack  Boy, is this cat going to ever rule the roost!  He's got you and Frankie under his paw and he's just a 1lb ball of fluff who just moved in.  Wait until he and Frankie start chasing each other.... just get out of the way. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment