Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Help Your Dog When She Becomes Suddenly Blind

@noodleann wrote:

It's after 10:30, so after your bedtime. I hope you've settled in well with Frankie. I think just talking soothingly to her will help her a great deal. The darkness will be like night to her. And who knows? She may not be completely blind. I would trust in your caring instincts and just remember that communicating calm reassurance will help allay her anxieties.

She's such a darling little dog and you're such a loving animal friend, I cannot help think that this will work out and you will get the help you both need. Will be thinking of you, dear Frankie, and Sir Henry all this weekend. I'm in the shadows but pulling for all of you, @NickNack . Heart

@noodleann   Thank you.  Frankie finally settled down and slept all night long.  I do think she can see a little bit of a shadow or something.  She bumps into things, but sometimes she'll walk right up to something and then move to avoid it.  I'm still hoping her eyesight will come back.  Sometimes it's only a temporary blindness when they have a stroke.  The ER Vet said it usually comes back within 24 hours if it's going to.  It's been much longer than that.  

I know she will adjust and do fine.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have a blind cat, but he had to have his eyes removed as a kitten.  They adopted him out to me with his brother so he would have "help".  I guess I would say not to overwhelm the dog by trying to teach her the whole house at once.  Start small with limited ability to wander.  Start with how to get from her safe place to her food/water and how to go potty.  With the kittens, I crated them at night and kept them mostly to one room until they became comfortable expanding their horizons.  For Houdini, the biggest challenge seemed to be in knowing where the bottom was.  As long as he knows how far he is from the floor he's fine.  One of his favorite places to hang out is on the back of the Lazy Boy beside my head.  The one thing they told me was not to change the furniture around.  However, Houdini is pretty good at finding and avoiding new things that happen to get in his way, ike a box from Amazon that wasn't sitting there before.

Thank you @Icegoddess .  I have a small 1200 foot ranch style house.  I'm so glad I don't have steps, although I do have three steps to the back yard.  I've been carrying her to the yard but will eventually start teaching her how to use them.

That was wonderful that you adopted Houdini and his brother together.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

OH,I'm so,so sorry. Poor Frankie  and what a heartbreak for you too. {{{{hugs}}}}}}

You are doing everything you can to help him.

I'm glad they now think they know what is wrong.

I have Frankie's name on my St Francis Statue and we are praying for Frankie.

Many,many yrs ago, someone here on these Q boards sent me this wonderful St Francis Statue and ever since then I have put the names of pets needing healing on it. We had (still have) a great group of pet lovers that stayed up half the night talking.I was CorgiMom,way back then. here.<3 

Thank you so much for your prayers @MalteseMomma.  I love the idea of having the St. Francis statue with the pets' names on it.   

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I'm saddened to hear this.  You sure are dealing with ALOT!!   If you remember,  I posted back to you when you asked if anyone had experience with their dog falling...I had this with Teaspoon  my Maltese, and vet said it's something neurological.  He said there are meds, but we aren't doing anything as shes 15 yrs and manages quite well,  but its upsetting to see her flop, or walk like a drunk.  Its occasional, but needs to be monitored.   As for your Frankie, when she comes home my only suggestion would be is keep her somewhat confined to room shes familiar with, and that you spend most of your time in also.  Dogs do adapt well and use their amazing senses to feel their way around.  I would move anything that she could bump into that's hard or pointy out of the way.  Give her plenty of time, and maybe treats or rawhides to soothe and keep her busy.  I'll pray her sight returns...sorry your both going through this.  Try to be positive and cheerfully encourage her, I believe they pick up on our energy. 

I just saw this post, my daughter and 10 month old grandson have moved in with me recently, and my entire schedule is upside down,  but I try checking in here when I'm relaxing...please take care!

Esteemed Contributor

I feel so sad for Frankie @NickNack   I had a Cockapoo that lost her eyesight. She did well and all I did was keep all furniture and everything the way it was before she lost her eyesight. We had a black lab Midnight that would guide her when she would go outside. She loved being outside. I pray Frankie gets her eyesight back. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would like to say what a great dog parent you are. Frankie is very lucky to have you in his life.

If you google blind dog, there are many ways to help them. It is very interesting to read how dogs can adjust to loosing their sight. I hope her sight does come back but if not I think she will do good. Wishing you the best. Give Frankie a big hug from me.

Honored Contributor

Thank you very much @qvcfreak .  We're going to the Vet School at 10:00 today for an MRI.  I hope we'll get a definitive answer as to what is wrong.  My fear is that it's a brain tumor.  I so hope I'm wrong.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I would like to say what a great dog parent you are. Frankie is very lucky to have you in his life.

If you google blind dog, there are many ways to help them. It is very interesting to read how dogs can adjust to loosing their sight. I hope her sight does come back but if not I think she will do good. Wishing you the best. Give Frankie a big hug from me.

Thank you @elated .  She had her seizure and lost her eyesight Thursday night.  I've accepted the fact that it will never come back.  She is pacing non-stop (literally hours and hours at a time), and she falls down.  I am so afraid this is a brain tumor.  We'll find out today when she has her MRI.

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack I am so sorry to hear about your baby.  May I offer you some good news from personal experience?

In October (2019), our 6 year old miniature poodle, Suzie, went totally blind secondary to glaucoma. We were devastated! Within days, Suzie learned to navigate around the house and outside! She is amazing!!!

We took it harder than she did!

She now functions so well that people can't tell that she is blind!

I got lots of great information and support from the Blind Dogs group on FB. Keep your baby to a routine and things will become easier. 

Best of luck! 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing your story @Major Shopper .  That gives me hope.  I'll look into the Facebook group you mentioned.

-Henry David Thoreau