Respected Contributor

Re: How Do You Help Your Dog When She Becomes Suddenly Blind

@NickNack 

It will be good to have an answer.

shout out to @MoJoV 

She has experience with a blind dog.

Blind dogs can do very well. You want her to have a safe zone like her crate. You do not want to move furniture around. Talk to her often to let her determine whare you are. She will learn the pathway in your house.

She is vunerable to falls so watch for steps she could fall from. Do not let her go outside unattended.

I will be upping my prayers for news on Monday.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I'm so sad that you're having to go through this with Frankie, especially now when we have so many other worries.  I know she means the world to you so you must be overwhelmed with concern.

I've know of several blind dogs, also collies, born blind due to bad breeding.  They did fine.  I'd keep Frankie somewhat confined until she adjusts, perhaps in a crate, then slowly extend her range.  She'll probably do better than you expect.  I had a dog that lost a leg and she never missed a beat.  They adjust faster than people.  She'll bump into things but won't hurt herself.  That's how she learns the lay of the room.

It's going to be a long week-end for you.  We'll be thinking of you and Frankie.  Come back here if you need encouragement.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

This may sound crazy, but you might want to wear a bell so that Frankie can know where you are when you move about the house. Wishing you both the best. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

My Keeshond had seizures, however, no blindness.  We managed them.

I did have a bunny that at the age of 8 began his slide into the abyss.

He went blind in one eye - then by the time he was 11 he was completely blind. He lived his best life blind - it's when he finally let me love him CLOSE UP!

I have to say blindness is not an end game for your pet, you will be their eyes and the other sense they have will become keener as necessary to manage.

My heart sinks for you both, and I'm praying to St. Francis for you and beloved Frankie.

Don't despair, and do as much research as you can about whatever the final diagnosis turns out to be... for both your sakes.

Sending much love and well wishes for a positive outcome, and kisses to Frankie -

Aunt Ko

Honored Contributor

I want to thank all of you for your responses, prayers and concern for Frankie.  @threecees @Leggett28  @on the bay @goldensrbest  @drizzellla  @candys mine  @eddyandme  @doxie1  @Kachina624  @K9buddy  @MoonieBaby  I appreciate all of you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

It's after 10:30, so after your bedtime. I hope you've settled in well with Frankie. I think just talking soothingly to her will help her a great deal. The darkness will be like night to her. And who knows? She may not be completely blind. I would trust in your caring instincts and just remember that communicating calm reassurance will help allay her anxieties.

She's such a darling little dog and you're such a loving animal friend, I cannot help think that this will work out and you will get the help you both need. Will be thinking of you, dear Frankie, and Sir Henry all this weekend. I'm in the shadows but pulling for all of you, @NickNack . Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a blind cat, but he had to have his eyes removed as a kitten.  They adopted him out to me with his brother so he would have "help".  I guess I would say not to overwhelm the dog by trying to teach her the whole house at once.  Start small with limited ability to wander.  Start with how to get from her safe place to her food/water and how to go potty.  With the kittens, I crated them at night and kept them mostly to one room until they became comfortable expanding their horizons.  For Houdini, the biggest challenge seemed to be in knowing where the bottom was.  As long as he knows how far he is from the floor he's fine.  One of his favorite places to hang out is on the back of the Lazy Boy beside my head.  The one thing they told me was not to change the furniture around.  However, Houdini is pretty good at finding and avoiding new things that happen to get in his way, ike a box from Amazon that wasn't sitting there before.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   So very sorry for your Frankie. They're so helpless and we feel the same way. I have no experience w/ blind pets except my daughter's blind dog. His issue was that he got freaked out at times...seemed disoriented. The vet had her crate him for those times until he settled and when he came out of his safe place, he seemed more calm. It's amazing to watch pets adapt when they have these issues. Sometimes it's more difficult for us. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  I just saw this post. I am so sorry to hear this and feel terrible for both of you.

I'm sorry I can't offer any information as I have no experience with a blind pet.

These sad posts always leave me feeling at such a loss for words. Please know I am thinking of Frankie, and you.

Esteemed Contributor

OH,I'm so,so sorry. Poor Frankie  and what a heartbreak for you too. {{{{hugs}}}}}}

You are doing everything you can to help him.

I'm glad they now think they know what is wrong.

I have Frankie's name on my St Francis Statue and we are praying for Frankie.

Many,many yrs ago, someone here on these Q boards sent me this wonderful St Francis Statue and ever since then I have put the names of pets needing healing on it. We had (still have) a great group of pet lovers that stayed up half the night talking.I was CorgiMom,way back then. here.<3