Honored Contributor

How Do You Help Your Dog When She Becomes Suddenly Blind

Frankie had a seizure last night and became suddenly blind.  Her eyesight might come back, but the ER doctor is afraid it won't since it hasn't already.

I rushed her to the ER last night, and they are treating her and sending her home tonight after observation.  

I have fostered a blind dog in the past who got along well.  He lost his eyesight slowly, though, and Frankie's was sudden.  I don't remember how I acclimated him to the house.  It was so long ago.

I don't know what to do when we get home.  I'm picking her up at 8:00 Eastern time.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  

I go to bed early, usually by 9:30 every night.  I plan to spend some time with her and then put her to bed.  

She has an appt. at the Vet School Monday morning for an MRI to try to get a definitive diagnosis.  If you remember we thought she had progressive disc disease since she was wobbly and falling.  She wailed loudly in the middle of the night for quite a while and the next day she was falling down.  They think now that the wail was a seizure, and the seizure caused her to stumble and fall.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do You Help Your Dog When She Becomes Suddenly Blind

I am sorry about Frankie @NickNack,.

Not much advice other than to say keep everything the same way

its been especially her food and water bowls.

Hoping that Frankie will regain her sight. At least she will be at home

soon and comforted by you. Thinking of you both.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  So sorry to hear this about Frankie, I wish I could tell you something that would help. Hope things get better and Frankie gets her sight back 😘

Honored Contributor

Aw@NickNack -,

I feel so bad for both of you.

I know you will give her all the love and comfort she needs.

The only thing I can think of is if you can pick her up, I would carry her to her bowl, to show her where it is, though she will probably be able to smell it. and to keep her near you when she sleeps.

It isn't a side effect of the medication is it, these seizures?

That is always thoughts I have, when they are taking something new and something new happens.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Oh no,  this sounds so hard for her, i am so sorry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Let me just say, I am not an expert by any means.

But I belong to a Collie Rescue Group. Seven years ago the group received 10 collies from a "backyard" breeder. The breeder wanted a pure white collie - and he got it. Unfortunately the collie was blind and deaf. 

They were unable to place the blind and deaf collie. So the President of the group took him. 

The collie has been doing great. He follows the President around wherever he goes around the house. And I must admit that our collie does the same thing. As soon as my husband stands up our collie follows my husband.

I must say collies have an excellent sense of smell and we have talked numerous times with the President about his white collie. And we think his good sense of smell has helped the collie get around so well. The President has even taken his white collie to Pet Fairs etc. And people have a hard time believing that he is blind and deaf.

I hope it is a temporary set back. But I really think that your dog will be able to learn to navigate around your house. Your dog won't be running so if the dog feels something it will just move a different way. Thanks for taking such good care of Frankie.

Respected Contributor

OH, poor Frankie!  You being with her will reasure her a great deal.  If you have stairs, block them off.  try to keep her environmemt the same as usual.  Talk to her while you're moving around the place so she knows everything is okay.  The thing about animals is they don't fret about things like we do.  I sincerely am sending her well wishes but if her sight doesn't come back she will get used to that.  The way things are is the way things are.  Mum's still here,  my bowl is still in the same place,  even Henry is still about the place.  Hugs to Frankie and you.  Hope you all have a quiet evening.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Aw@NickNack -,

I feel so bad for both of you.

I know you will give her all the love and comfort she needs.

The only thing I can think of is if you can pick her up, I would carry her to her bowl, to show her where it is, though she will probably be able to smell it. and to keep her near you when she sleeps.

It isn't a side effect of the medication is it, these seizures?

That is always thoughts I have, when they are taking something new and something new happens.

Thank you @on the bay   When all this started, she just wailed one night very loudly.  I thought she was in pain and took her to the Vet the next day.  The Vet did a neurological exam and thought she had a disc problem in her neck.  She wouldn't turn her head to the left to follow a marshmallow.  She did this several times.

They now think that her wail was a seizure.  It was dark, and I didn't turn the light on.  I just got out of bed and comforted her and might have missed the seizure part.  I don't think it could be a side effect of her medicine.

This could be inflammation in her brain, a brain tumor or many other things. The ER is running several tests, and she'll have the MRI on Monday morning.  I wish it was tomorrow instead of Monday.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you @drizzellla .  That's encouraging.  The blind dog that I fostered got around well, too.  I hope it won't be long before Frankie is able to acclimate.  It would be even better if her sight returned.

-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry for you and Frankiel  Prayers to St. Francis for your precious girl!

I don't know anything about dealing with this.  But, I would walk around the house/property a few times a day with her next to you, calling out each room as you enter, walking around each room slowly, say chair and,  let her feel it, etc.  As for outside steps, I'd sit down at the threshold next to her and when calm slowly go down each step with your hands at each side, but not touching her, counting down one, down 2, etc. Then going back inside when she is ready counting up 1, up 2, etc. then stating happily - we're inside!  (I help Eddy going up the stairs  He can see, just problems supporting himself when his rear legs 'fold' on him.  I keep my hands near his bum and boost them back up when needed,)  I think your being there with her and her knowing you're there to assist , giving her confidence, may help her through these trials.  And praise, lots of praise - telling her how special she is as she accomplishes each new adventure - imho, it works!

Also saw something on facebook where a dog was wearing something on its head that stuck out in front so it would make the pet realize there was an object in its path.  Also suggest large soft objects in yard - like an exercise ball - like the kind you could sit on - might help when playing in the yard.

Frankie knows you love her and that you're in it together, thus will adapt and get through this together.  A very special bond and closeness evolves when you're helping your furbaby:  they just know and love infinitely.

Sending loving thoughts...Heart