Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do You Deal With The Grief?

@Just Bling  Wanted to tag you in my above post, but the board software wouldn't let me tag you unless I was replying to you.

Hugs to you 💜

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel   Every day it will get better and I wish I could give you a hug, yes, those are our babies.

My baby just had his allergy shot, it just pains me every year around this time to see him itch, ears get bright red and he's miserable.  Now he has his shot and appears to be better.  

Just know we all know how you feel, when I read your original post, I thought oh no, yes, that's exactly how I felt 7 years ago and 17 years before that.  Oh the time goes by so fast but remember you have a lot more love to give so when you are ready, find another pal that needs a home and the love you give, you will get so much more in return.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel - I'm seeing this later than most, but I too am so sorry about your sweet Milo's death. He knew he was loved, which is one thing we can give them when we can't do anything else.

Something that comforts me is Billy Graham's answer when someone asked if our pets go to Heaven. He said God wants us to be happy in Heaven, and how could we be happy without our pets?

Enjoy your new little guy. You will give him the same loving home Milo had. (((HUGS)))

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel 

I have found it totally impossible to flag anyone with  two

names if there is a space in the middle. 

The only way it works for me is if they have posted as one of the last few posters in that thread.

New Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. No offense to anyone ok. I prefer pets over people. lol They love you if you look terrible or smell terrible. It is complete unconditional love. And I have fostered and had a great many kitties for 31 years. One of my cats sat next to me in my bed the entire year after my Daddy passed away. And I was 48 years old. Cats get a bad rap! I have also had 8 dogs in the last 30 years. My last dog passed away 5 years. That dog never left my side. He knew what I was going to say before I said it. I am fostering and have a house full of cats right now but over the past 5 years I've been to the shelter at least 10 times. And while it makes me sad, I don't feel that potential connection I had with my last dog. And I want that. So I don't know if I will ever get another dog. BUT I am so sorry I made this about me, I guess you struck a nerve. It's like when a human passes away that you are close to, you NEVER get over it, it just becomes easier to live with. I'm so glad you have another one to love you through this. I believe all my animals that have gone are with my Dad in heaven. He loved animals as much as I do. And I believe they will be there when It's my turn.

Regular Contributor

Time.  Give yourself time to cry, time to reminisce and remember the love Milo gave you. It's 7 months since we lost our Sammy (Christmas Eve) and I'm now at the stage with occasional bouts of deep sadness but also laughing at all his funny moments and mannerisms.  I look at his photos and had one put on a canvas which I have in my bedroom.  Every night I blow his a kiss and wish him goodnight.  Know that we all feel your loss and pain - that's the love coming through that you had/have.  It will get easier with time, less pain but still love.  Thinking of you.

Respected Contributor

Grief takes time.  Talking and sharing memories helps.  Cry when you need to but remember how lucky you both were to have each other.  

I work through any grief and creating a pet memorial garden  is a nice idea I read.  

Maybe in time another lucky little fellow will come to stay. 

Bless you and cherish those good times.  How lucky your little buddy Milo was to have someone who loved him so and he you.

Trusted Contributor

Something told me to turn to the boards tonight and I definitely needed this thread.  My beloved cat, Schatzi, is probably going to have to be put down Monday afternoon.  She would have been sixteen in September and she came out of the bean field on our farm when she was so small she could fit into the palm of my hand.  She will forever have a place in my heart.  So many of us have loved our pets and they have left us here on Earth while they took their Journey without us.  But, I have to believe we will see them again some day for they are also God's creatures and He loves them as much as He cares for us.  We were just a short part of their lives.  So, to all who have loved and lost, just think about the wonderful blessing we had to have them in our lives for that short period of time.

Peace be to all.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel 

Very sorry for your loss.  I know how you feel.  We lost one of our dogs on March 15, and we are still not over it.

We had her creamated, and she is with us here at home.

We still have another dog, but I wonder how he feels, she

helped him a lot with his fears.

My husband has a photo of her framed and in front of us

in the family room.  He also has placed her collar by the

shrub she loved to lay next to. 

We have several videos on our phones ,

and we watch them a lot as well.  We miss her so much.

I agree with the posters who say cry and go through the grieving process.  In time, if you can get another dog, that

might help.

We keep talking about getting another dog, but I'm just not sure. 

We just got back from the city visiting our son and family, and as we age, we are feeling that one dog may be all that we can handle now.  We talk about it every day.

Hang in there.  I know you have wonderful memories.

I think it is so painful, so hard, but will get a little better

with time. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Daisydoooo wrote:

I am so sorry for your loss. No offense to anyone ok. I prefer pets over people. lol They love you if you look terrible or smell terrible. It is complete unconditional love. And I have fostered and had a great many kitties for 31 years. One of my cats sat next to me in my bed the entire year after my Daddy passed away. And I was 48 years old. Cats get a bad rap! I have also had 8 dogs in the last 30 years. My last dog passed away 5 years. That dog never left my side. He knew what I was going to say before I said it. I am fostering and have a house full of cats right now but over the past 5 years I've been to the shelter at least 10 times. And while it makes me sad, I don't feel that potential connection I had with my last dog. And I want that. So I don't know if I will ever get another dog. BUT I am so sorry I made this about me, I guess you struck a nerve. It's like when a human passes away that you are close to, you NEVER get over it, it just becomes easier to live with. I'm so glad you have another one to love you through this. I believe all my animals that have gone are with my Dad in heaven. He loved animals as much as I do. And I believe they will be there when It's my turn.

@Daisydoooo   No offense taken.  I could've written some of the things you wrote here myself.  

I do wonder sometimes if my dad is sitting on a couch with his dog watching t.v. in the afterlife.  It's really all he wanted in his retirement, which he did not get to enjoy.  I hope he is with her now.

Hugs to you, and welcome to the boards!!

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org