Respected Contributor

Re: How Do You Deal With The Grief?

I cry for you. It's so hard. They are closer to us than family in some ways. They don't have a long lifespan.  You just need to get through it. I dread the day I lose my precious Skye.  Find distractions... When you're ready honor them by giving another needy one a home, if you are able... Sending strength and peace. ❤️🙏

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Like the others say, there's no easy way to do this. Grieve at your own pace. It's different for everyone. I've always had several cats at one time, so I always had a little buddy here with me, though one can't take the place of another. When I lost my only cat 10 years ago, I swore I would never get another animal as it hurt too much to lose them. After a few months, I decided to adopt another cat because I wanted someone to come home to. I now have Slick, Maisie and Storm. We save each other. Take care and I hope your broken heart heals soon.

Honored Contributor

Everyone has different ways of grieving so what would work for me may not work for you.  But, everyone needs to go through the grieving process.  I dont feel there is anything that should shorten it.  Thats what I do, not necessarily for others.  Time lessens the hurt.

So sorry about your Milo.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel  I am so sorry for your loss!!! It is an extraordinarily painful thing to experience. Having any member of your family (cat, dog, human) is always very hard. There are no shortcuts. You just have to feel your feelings.....and eventually your feelings will slide into a deep sense of gratitude and love. Hang in there! By the way, you just have to ignore stupid people that think that losing a pet is ANY less significant than losing a human relationship. Hugs to you!

Respected Contributor

I am So so sorry for the loss of your fur friend Milo.  Your grief is real as is your mourning this loss.  When I Lost my kitty girl, who was the last of the crew, I had her ashes come home as i have done with alll my fur family.  It was So very empty where kitties used to live.  I purchased a memorial pendant that came with a tiny funnel.  I put a little of each pets ashes in that pendant and wore it for months.  After a while I did not need the tangible touch for a balm to my heart as the grief was not so keen and the memories were the comfort .  Loss hurts but the grief lessens and the memories become sweeter with time.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss.  It is painful to lose what you love so much.  When I really sat and think about it, I would have to say, at least for myself, I cope by controlling my thoughts, remembering the good things, and thinking about how much better life will now be for my pet.  If I only think sad thoughts, I will be sad so I try to remember all the good they brought to my life and live with those thoughts in mind. Yes, it will still hurt but remembering the blessing they were helps. 

Honored Contributor

Altho it broke your heart,you have set Milos spirit free.

Respected Contributor

I kept pictures in almost every room...looking at them helped me.  I am fortunate to have a plot to "place my furbabies" so I can visit any time...this helps. 

There is really nothing to take this pain away.  After 8 years I still am in tears thinking of the last time I walked in your shoes.  Prayers for you and your family to get thru this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First ,i want to say to you ,i am sorry, they fill our heart,and mind with such love,and memories, i don't do well with loss, i miss my spirit so very much, i still cry every day,i also miss each dog i have ever lost. And my i also ,say my husband,my son, Shane, the years just make it more sad ,for what he did not get to do ,in such a short life ,only 27 yrs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I have lost many beloved pets in my life.  Let yourself grieve for awhile then adopt another one.  You'll be helping both of you.