Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do We Get Petunia Used To People?

@Still Raining  DD and I feed several stray cats.  Petunia is 1 of a litter of 3 from one of the strays. 

When she was about 4 weeks old she got a cut on her stomach (we think from trying to climb a tree next to the porch).  DD took her to the vet and she had to be kept quiet for 2 weeks and be given antibiotics.  We kept her in the house intending to find her a home. lol  We did, ours.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 It sounds like she's making some progress, since she tolerated the visiting nurse. She's faced a lot for a kitten. She's still learning how to feel secure  with her own new family, let alone strangers.  Takes time. If she remains skittish, she earned the right :-).  

At least she's not like the Siamese cat I grew up with.  She was a little devil.  With any new visitors, she'd size them up, and, at the right moment, go in for attack.  Not playing, biting and scratching. Sometimes she'd hit and run, other times I had to pull her off people. She hated everyone except her family.    

Esteemed Contributor

@BlueFinch  Oh geez.  I guess I'll take skiddish over one that does a drive-by attack.

She's funny. She will jump on DD and grab her arm and try to gnaw it off and then she crawls on her chest and cuddles up to her. One thing, she does not like being kissed. My older cat doesn't either. Petunia just tries to get down if you kiss her, the older cat gives you a look at would kill. When the tail starts swishing you put her down.

They have their own minds that's for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine run and hide when anyone bangs ("knocks") on the door, but they don't connect the doorbell ringing with anything fearful.

I tell people not to knock.

Ideally, you have at least one neighborhood kid over the age of ten that you could hire to help acclimate your kitt to other people entering your home.

Start each 20-30 min visit w grooming activities, followed by play. 

caution: This summer I wanted to hire two neighbourhood kids (7 & 10 y/o) to visit and play daily with a litter of kitts I was fostering.

But when i interviewed them, re their knowledge of people interacting with pets, they described examples of animal abuses they considered normal.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Set treats by the door, whenever someone new somes over, shake the treats and have that person give a few, even if it's just near the door and they walk away.

Yup.  DH (aka the "cat whisperer") swears by the treat/food method.

But we didn't need that with our Bengal, Rocko - he'd run to the door to greet people like "HI!  I'm Rocko and I like everyone!"  Millie, his great grandmother, was not that exuberant, but was used to strangers as she was a former show/breeder cat.

Denise
Respected Contributor

Retired Legal,

@lolakimono had a terrific idea - treats by the door, a lil bag the visitor can shake (making the treat's sound) the cats come out from their hiding spots and the visitor can give each a treat or two.

Great plan.

Most treats are but only 2 calories each.

Aunt Ko approved idea!

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge  No neighborhood kids. We will have to try the treat method.  She sure knows thr container when she sees it.