Re: How Do I Teach My Dog To Go DOWN The Stairs From The Bed

Fingers crossed!

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

My senior golden uses a 2-step stair case to get on my bed. But I can tell she hates it. She struggles up the two steps, it's hard for her and yet she finally gets up on my bed. I'm considering getting a ramp but I'm afraid that won't be needed for much longer. My golden is almost 15yo and I'm noticing some definite signs.

I understand what you're saying but for me, I'd want to make her as comfortable as possiable in her final years. JMO.

@SilleeMee wrote:

My senior golden uses a 2-step stair case to get on my bed. But I can tell she hates it. She struggles up the two steps, it's hard for her and yet she finally gets up on my bed. I'm considering getting a ramp but I'm afraid that won't be needed for much longer. My golden is almost 15yo and I'm noticing some definite signs.

@arrabella 

Believe me, I feel the same way. The reality of it is the ramp would have to be very large in order to accommodate her size. My bedroom is barely big enough for my bed so I really don't think it would fit in there. Woman Sad

I understand.

Valued Contributor

@NickNack How's the training coming?

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

@NickNack How's the training coming?

@m0rgan   Either Ava doesn't catch on quickly or I'm not a good trainer.  It's probably both, and maybe more me.  I think the incline of the ramp is awfully steep for her to go down.

She has jumped off my bed a few times, and I've only caught the end of it one time.  I think she's jumping to the bench at the foot of the bed and then to the floor.  That might be okay for the three weeks that I won't be able to pick her up.  I may have said that I wouldn't be able to pick her up for six weeks, but my surgeon said three weeks on my last visit.

I think I'll probably return the ramp and just let her use the steps to the bed like she's been doing.  She goes up them really well.  I can start picking her up to take her off the bed again after three weeks.

My surgery is scheduled for February 3rd.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Maybe if you sit on or at the steps and put your hand on her back she will be able to go down the steps carefully.  Hope the surgery goes well and this will all be behind you soon.

Honored Contributor

Thank you

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

Blessings to you for the best of luck on your recovery.  I'm glad you don't have a long wait.  I'll keep you in my prayers.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

@NickNack 

Blessings to you for the best of luck on your recovery.  I'm glad you don't have a long wait.  I'll keep you in my prayers.  Heart

Thank you very much @sceniccoast .

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , God Bless your surgery tomorrow,  I believe you said the 3rd.   Speedy healing, and stay peaceful...I know surgery can be worrisome.  You'll be great!🙏🙏,  Linda😊

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack , God Bless your surgery tomorrow,  I believe you said the 3rd.   Speedy healing, and stay peaceful...I know surgery can be worrisome.  You'll be great!🙏🙏,  Linda😊

@Dazlin   Thank you so much.  I'm getting pretty nervous about it but will be glad to get it done.

-Henry David Thoreau